Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! As some of you know I’m kind of new to rat parenthood. I know that Arthur wants to get out of his cage and run around a bit and explore and I’m wondering if any of you have suggestions of how to do this safely. The biggest issue is that I have a baseboard heater and I want to keep him away from that.

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,494 Posts
I start with a bed, cover with an old sheet, and add toys and hides and stuff. They learn quickly not to jump off and respect the edges. Those baseboard heaters are a pain, I have them too, but have found that when they get older, they can't fit inside and pretty much leave them alone.

Reactions: Yutolia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I start with a bed, cover with an old sheet, and add toys and hides and stuff. They learn quickly not to jump off and respect the edges. Those baseboard heaters are a pain, I have them too, but have found that when they get older, they can't fit inside and pretty much leave them alone.
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I get new rats I like to put a couple old towels on the bottom of a bathtub or shower. It’s nice because you get to be in close proximity to and supervising them at all times and they can get used to you, yet they can choose to be away from you if not comfortable. It’s escape proof and if they make a mess it’s easy to clean! Depends on what your bathroom is like, but utilizing that room in general was really helpful for me when I wasn’t confident about letting them in my room just yet, maybe it’ll work for you while you figure out the baseboard heater situation ^^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts