Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old pet rat, Mori, had surgery on a very large mammary tumor by her genital area removed four days ago. On day two of healing, I noticed one of her stitches (incisions?) Was turning black. I took her into the vet urgent care and he said we had caught the infection early and gave us some antibiotics. I've been giving to them to her for two days now, every 12 hours.
So I was just wondering how long it's going to take for this foul-smelling, black and green infected spot to clear up? I love my Mori and I want to be able to cuddle and give her post-surgery loves but its hard to sit by her surgery cage long because of the smell. I'd also like to know how I should keep this area clean? It says on the aftercare instructions to keep the incisions dry and clean. Every 30 mins about I've been dabbing off the urine from the area. Any help would be appreciated.

After writing this, I went back to look at the spot and when I picked my girl up, it popped. The worst smelling brown liquid oozed from the black spot. I cleaned it up with a washcloth. While cleaning i noticed the spot is warm to the touch. Both of these things make me think abscess. I have no experience with abscesses and my vet has yet to call me back. Any advice?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Clean the cage really well and replace the bedding. This will help with the odor. Use a moistened q-tip to gently clean the abscess area. Keep it as clean as possible until you speak with your vet.

Good luck and I hope Mori is doing better soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean the cage really well and replace the bedding. This will help with the odor. Use a moistened q-tip to gently clean the abscess area. Keep it as clean as possible until you speak with your vet.

Good luck and I hope Mori is doing better soon.
Thank you! I have been changing the towels out of her cage every day so far and spraying the inside with a vinegar/water mixture. Poor lil thing just stinks terribly 😭

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thank you! I have been changing the towels out of her cage every day so far and spraying the inside with a vinegar/water mixture. Poor lil thing just stinks terribly 😭
And she probably will until the infection is treated and cleared up. The tricky part is to try and keep her and her environment as clean as possible to (1) give the infection time to heal & (2) keep it from making her any sicker. Until she is treated, her immune system is working overtime ....so while it's fighting the infection from the abscess, it leaves her a bit more vulnerable to everything else.

You need to clean the cage, not simply swap out the towels, the bedding, hammock, hides, etc need to be kept as clean as you can - to help her heal. If you have a smaller, "infirmary" cage you can use, that would be good as well. Isolating her from her cage mates is a good idea in this case .... both for her sake and theirs.

And please make sure to follow up with your vet. That infection needs antibiotics and most likely, a good cleaning by a medical professional.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And she probably will until the infection is treated and cleared up. The tricky part is to try and keep her and her environment as clean as possible to (1) give the infection time to heal & (2) keep it from making her any sicker. Until she is treated, her immune system is working overtime ....so while it's fighting the infection from the abscess, it leaves her a bit more vulnerable to everything else.

You need to clean the cage, not simply swap out the towels, the bedding, hammock, hides, etc need to be kept as clean as you can - to help her heal. If you have a smaller, "infirmary" cage you can use, that would be good as well. Isolating her from her cage mates is a good idea in this case .... both for her sake and theirs.

And please make sure to follow up with your vet. That infection needs antibiotics and most likely, a good cleaning by a medical professional.
Thank you! Yes, she's currently in a small dog kennel with only towels on the bottom. Im wiping off her water bottle as well as cleaning the cage everyday. She is also on sulfatrim, and I can't get into the vet until next Wednesday.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Warm moist compress, hold it on the area for 5-10 minutes, several times a day. That will help soften and open the abscess. Since it is already draining, use the warm wet cloth to gentle press on it and allow the pressure to be released. It will be foul smelling, and totally gross, but once it starts to drain, she will feel much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts