Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So glad to be with people who don't think my little girls are creepy! ;D I had rats all growing up until I was 16 and moved. Years went by and I missed their funny little personalities so I just got 3 baby girls from a rescue/breeder in my area a couple weeks ago. This is only my second time having females, I tend to prefer the docile nature of males but my husband wouldn't prefer the extra smell. Delphine is my loving, friendly girl and she's got some seriously gorgeous markings (she's a grey/tan hooded but there's so much depth to her colors and markings). I may end up breeding her if I can find the right male because she just has such great traits! Cosima is my shy girl, still social but a little less willing to be so. She's a black hooded rat and she's going to be the biggest of the three sisters. And my last girl is Katja. She's dark grey all over with a white marking on her belly and a little black tip on her tail. She's chubby but small, which is a cute combination and she's my explorer, always trying to sneak away. I have them in the All Living Things rat cage from Petsmart with fleece liners and some homemade hanging tubes and honeycombs. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've spent the last two weeks trying to litter train my girls with no success. They have fleece bedding and a corner litter box with paper bedding and I've been putting the poop into the litter box but instead of taking the cue, Delphine has just taken to storing all her food there. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like you have some gorgeous girls there! I too have always tended to preference the boys, all the girls I had were really adventurous and loved exploring, which is great, but I love to snuggle with my rats, and the girls always hated it, the boys however, loved all the attention!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love rats too, and I also have a girl.
She's called Kimi (Kimono - hence my username)
Your names are so creative, how'd you come up with them?
I generally prefer girls, as they are so adventurous.
We bought her a new hammock, after she carved in her old one. But she wont take it so I put the fluffy bit of the old one on top.
She took to that rather quickly lol.
I find my rat does like to curl up with me, as she's on her own. My parents say I can only have one, but Kimi is great on her own.

Hope you enjoy your new besties.
Kimono

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad to meet you! Looking forward to seeing photos of your little monsters.

I'm also so glad I found this forum. Everyone I talk to (at work, school, etc) assumes that my rats are gross little sewage-eaters. Not the case! They beautiful little babes. It's been such a relief and a comfort to talk to other rat owners. ✌

1 - 13 of 13 Posts