Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its heartbreaking to say this... But I must part with my babies tonight until december... My school will only allow Chase in my apartment because "ESU policy only allows A (singular) emotional Support animal." meaning even if I got a trio certified, they would only accept one and cage mates would have to stay home. I can only bring that one.... So the babies will live with Zach. They will be reintroduced when the babies are 3months old and have grown to a bigger size.

Then once that happens, I assume Chase will say with the babies after that and I'll have to kiss kiss my beloved 9month old rat good bye for 3 months with his babies once school starts up... Unless I can talk to my University's president and see about this policy. Please note that I have a note from my psychologist for all 3.... Chase was starting to show signs of depression which is why I acted and was trying to get these 2 babies approved... But since that didnt happen the babies must go until I can get them from Zach over winter break.... What do you think I can/ should do.

Does a university have the right to do that even with the letters stating that they are ESA?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Can you also get proof that rats need social friends? Maybe then they'll listen. How heart breaking.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you also get proof that rats need social friends? Maybe then they'll listen. How heart breaking.
When I called counsling services one of the secretaries said "from my personal experiences, and I have owned rats, if you give them enough attention they should me fine" I said "I have had Chase for 6months, he is not fine. I know the signs of depression. He lays around, barely eats, and just over all does not seems well." her reply "Well ok... but I'm just saying usually they are fine" My reply: "Yeah in some causes, but clearly he is not. I should know"

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Have your psychiatrist call the school and speak to the dean. Just bypass all those idiots and go straight to the top. They need to know that he needs his cagemates or it will negatively affect his health and well being, and if he's sick then he can't help you and that in turn will affect your health.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Have you talked to the disability coordinator? In my case, they were the only one that could make the final decision about whether or not I could keep more than one rat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left a message for her yesterday asking her to call me today... She was in at 9am. I called at 9 they told me she wasn't in. I called at ~10:30 they said she still wasn't in. I canned at 11 something they said she wasn't here BUT was told yesterday that she was, further inspection they said she is but "with someone" they said she'd call me. I called at 1:30 they said again she wasn't in... they check and she was busy. had to go to class for 2-3:50, they close at 4:30... I called at 3:55, no one answered. I called at 4 someone picked up and said she wasn't here. This isn't the first time they have don't this to me... They did this for a month straight when I called trying to get Chase in to school. Needless to say. I called the President of the university to complain and to ask to see this "policy" in writing since I cant find it anywhere. I ALSO called HUD to see what they say about 3 documented ESAs being denied accommodations.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah I don't see how they could deny you the right to keep three rats. When I had to fill out the paper work to keep my rats, one of the conditions was that I had to be able to meet the emotional needs of my animal(s). We all know that rats need ratty companions in order for their emotional needs to be successfully fulfilled. I would try to get a note from a veterinarian as well, stating that having more than one rat is necessary to the well being of the animal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I spoke to the head counseling services she is a small animal (Guinea Pig) owner of YEARS. She directed me to a very good vet in the area and says that I should first get him check out to make sure there is no underlying issue.. (But i got him checked by a licensed vet tech, she found nothing.) But thats ok, nothing will show. So she said she will be working on talking to their legal team and higher ups for next semester.... So sadly I will not have my babies till december...

She said she will do all she can. She would like to have any contact information for any schools who have dealt with similar instances so PLEASE inbox me (All rat ESA owners PLEASE!) So she can present a decent case to the legal team! She understands the needs of these social animals and claims she is going to do all she can.

·
Registered
680 Posts
While I understand your sadness I can understand it from their perspective too. People are not rational. So if they say it's OK to have 3 rats then someone will complain that they want 3 dogs. They are not the same thing, but as I said people are not rational so they'll argue "why does the rat lady get 3 but I only get 1”. Blanketly limiting it to 1 animal is the safest way for them to avoid that situation.

I'm curious what sort of checks they actuallly have on this? I mean if your roomate is cool, or you have a single, will they ever even know if you sneak in the other two? I never went to college so I'm not sure how exactly that all works.

·
Registered
680 Posts
But are they going to do surprise inspections? Just wondering what the likelihood of getting caught with more then one rat is?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
High since I know my RA thinks that rats are dirty and disgusting... So he said he would be doing more inspections then that non esa tenates to make sure hes not "violating health codes" and now an interesting development. Counsling center who is in charge of Chase's stay said I cant take him out of the apartment. Luke (my building's RA) said I cant take him out of my small 10ft X 15ft room.... Even if he was on my shoulder. -.-'

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't get the bias toward rats. Do they think they're going to escape into the walls and give everyone the plague? :rolleyes:
It's probably more bias against ESA in general. Unfortunately a lot of people have had pets certified as ESA when they have no real need just to get pets into pet-free housing and such. That has made it harder on those with legitimate need for an ESA. So you get landlords and such that legally comply with the law, but try to do so as minimally as they can while causing the most burden on the ESA pet owner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Luke (my building's RA) said I cant take him out of my small 10ft X 15ft room.... Even if he was on my shoulder. -.-'

This I would question. Is this a dorm? You keep calling it an apartment, but it sounds like there would have to be some centralized living/eating/bathroom area. The ADA has published opinions on both Service Animals and Support Animals....that essentially, "The ability to move between rooms in order to socialize, to study, and to use all public use and common use areas is an essential."

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in the university "off campus apartments"... Its policy at my school that ESA's don't live my room and cant enter school buildings. But head of counseling department said apartment and RA say my room inside my apartment. -.-' I kinda just give up... I want to ask my mother if I can live off campus like in town where it would honestly be cheaper then living here. I'm so tired of the people and I want to move in with people I know and get along with -.-

Edit: He has to be in a carrier if he leaves the apartment. I cant even take him outside in the grass or sit outside my apartment building with him. Once I get on to campus I can have him out but 10ft away from any door/building entrance....

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've been thinking about this a lot today because I study law. It's hard to say for sure because I don't know what state you're in, and all states are a little different, but you can claim that they are discriminating against your disability by refusing to accommodate it. You need to argue that the accommodation is reasonable, and that by them refusing to accommodate, you are being discriminated against. I would also argue using the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), which states that a disability is something physical or mental that limits a normal daily activity. You would be amazed at what counts as a normal daily activity (they list answering the phone). If you are covered under the ADA, which you likely are, then your accommodation is as well, especially if prescribed by your doctor. Basically, you're in a position to sue the school, and it is far easier for them to accommodate than to pay a lawyer.

Quick advice, never outright say you are going to sue. It puts people on edge. You just need to subtly say all the things that they are doing illegally and let them draw the conclusion that they can be sued. This would be a conversation that I would have with a dean, basically someone who wouldn't want to be sued and would rather accept the accommodations.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been thinking about this a lot today because I study law. It's hard to say for sure because I don't know what state you're in, and all states are a little different, but you can claim that they are discriminating against your disability by refusing to accommodate it. You need to argue that the accommodation is reasonable, and that by them refusing to accommodate, you are being discriminated against. I would also argue using the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), which states that a disability is something physical or mental that limits a normal daily activity. You would be amazed at what counts as a normal daily activity (they list answering the phone). If you are covered under the ADA, which you likely are, then your accommodation is as well, especially if prescribed by your doctor. Basically, you're in a position to sue the school, and it is far easier for them to accommodate than to pay a lawyer.

Quick advice, never outright say you are going to sue. It puts people on edge. You just need to subtly say all the things that they are doing illegally and let them draw the conclusion that they can be sued. This would be a conversation that I would have with a dean, basically someone who wouldn't want to be sued and would rather accept the accommodations.
The problem is that they are accommodating me (and my disability) by having Chase... the head of counseling said that you have an ESA, you don't need 3, unless we can get a vet notice AND it is heavily discussed with the legal team and her boss-- whom i can probably tell you it is not likely they will accept. But she said she will try..(what ever that means).. I literally broke down and cried. I've never cried this much.... This entire situation sucks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts