Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Charlie, who was two when we got him, passed recently. About a week before he bit me pretty badly on the hand while we were hand wrestling. Could I have given him something. He just got really lethargic and stopped eating and drinking. It was a very quick thing....or was it just old age?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I doubt you gave him anything. It could have been heart failure, cancer, or anything really. Don't beat yourself up! Sometimes things just happen.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
There will have been a cause for his death but there are very few things humans can pad on to rats. Its possible that whatever caused him to bite you hard may be linked to him dieing. say if he had a neurological issue that over rode his normal behaviour safe guards or even had a mini fit. It happens and I've known a few owners get badly bitten from a rat whose later died or been put to sleep woth a brain tumour, stroke or similar

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have had several animals over the years that have bit hard and then died soon there after. Some I know what happened, some not so sure. But my guess it's always related when they act different than normal. It can be neurological, as isamurat said, or they can just be in a lot of pain and bite. I had a little ferret who was biting something terrible, including other ferrets. One of her kidneys had completely died. Once it was removed she was a sweet heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts