Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, so I've been going back and forth on food preference for my babies. I would like to make my own mix, but that's not an option right now.

My rats have been eating Oxbow with some items supplemented for protein for my young girls. I switched to Oxbow because I was having trouble getting Harlan and Oxbow I could get locally for a better price, and everyone has prides it so much.

Now though Oxbows price has changed, and I feel like having more rats than just my two boys I could justify buying larger bags of Harlan. I would love to keep my Oxbow but is it sold anywhere in larger bags? I haven't seen any more than the three pounds.

Then I started searching Harlan and easily found places selling bigger bags of the 18 with the higher level of protein but not the other. Is there anyone that orders either in large quantities? If so where do you buy from? What do you get? What is the most reasonable? Does it store well? How do you store the bigger bags?

I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, but I'm wanting to get more food for a bit better a price than what I have been paying.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's the problem. I've only seen the 18 for sale in larger quantities. I have no intentions of getting it for my guys which is where the problem comes in. Are the other percentages not sold tht way as well? Because I'm sure not finding them in bigger bags when I search.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I buy Oxbow in larger bags. Prior to the Oxbow, my rats were on HT 14% formula, also ordered as large bags. The Oxbow ended up being cheaper but only if I bought the 20 pound bag and as we have 5 rats, we ended up going with that. It should last us about 4 months, give or take. I can't remember exactly where I got it but I paid $34 including shipping. Its $40 on Dr fosters and smith. I believe their shipping is free on $50 worth of orders.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not to mention if you order bedding from Drs F&S at the same time (or just some other toys) to get it up past $49, the shipping is free. I've heard some people say that shipping got added when they ordered the 20 pound bag, but it wasn't for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts