Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a brand new rat mom and I think I'm more upset than my rat which I just injured! I need a little advice. i looked through the other hurt tail posts and most of them were way more severe than what I'm experiencing.

While attaching something to their cage I took a pair of kitchen shears to trim off a piece from the outside. Somehow Roxy got her tail in the way at the very last moment. It isn't bad, it's just the teeny-tiniest little bit of the tip that got snipped. She didn't even seem to notice anything...except maybe my gasp and "oh sweets, I'm so sorry!" It bled a few drops so I took her out of the cage and dabbed a little cornstartch on it to make sure it stopped then gently waped the excess away so she didn't eat a ton of it.

Everything seems relatively okay. She's playing and grooming naturally, except that she is licking the end of her tail where she is hurt quite a lot. It's getting a little pink there on the end.

Should I just leave her be? Is there something I should do to help her out? Am I a horrible person? I feel vaguely like I just dropped my child on it's head or soemthing. LOL

·
Registered
581 Posts
Accidenta happen. I would watch her carefully for infection and maybe clean the tail towards the tip more often so feces and urine doesn't get in the wound until it finishes healing. You may also want to watch out for her cage atea grooming the injury too hard in case they pull the scab off. I'm sure she'll be fine if it was just the tip, just watch it and make sure it'd healing alright. :3 Many owners have mistakes happen with their baby's tails so don't beat yourself up too hard, just be extra careful in the future. Your rat doesn't seem to have any hard feelings towards you for it. ^-^

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a day or two later Roxy seems fine. The end of her tail has healed over and she isn't worrying over it so much anymore. It's a little pink but not discolored or scabby. Thanks Sabatea for the encouragement.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a picture of it. Let me tell you this was fun trying to take a picture of her tail. LOL She kept turning around to investigate what I was doing with the camera! I'm thinking it looks okay but I'm new to this.

tail1.JPG tail2.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts