Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted two little girls— Sniffer and Stevie from a breeder. When I brought them home, I played with them while my partner set up their cage (took a while— had to put construction fabric over it since the wire spacing was too large). Everything seemed really good— I’ve had four rats in the past and they seemed like the friendliest right off the bat. However, since they’ve been in their cage (it’s a bit ridiculously large for two baby rats— three stories and about 3.5 feet tall and 2.5 feet wide), they seem really frightened and lonely. Sniffer will just cower on the top level, while Stevie stays on the bottom in the hideaway. They aren’t cuddling even though they seem to get along, and I haven’t noticed them eat or drink much at all. They are being stationary for girl rats, and I’m worried that they’re depressed/anxious. Is their cage too large and overwhelming?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long ago did you bring them home?

Were they in a much smaller, or more crowded, cage at the breeder's place?
How long ago did you bring them home?

Were they in a much smaller, or more crowded, cage at the breeder's place?
Only the day before yesterday! And yes definitely— they were all crowded up with their sisters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe they are just getting used to their new home. Whenever I take my rats to a new place, they seem to be frightened and don't move.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I they frightened of anything specific? Noise, the open space, you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts