Registered
171 Posts
Re: I allways get told that my rat is huge, what do you thin

hahaha big rats are the best..so snuggly and stuff.I hope mine gets that big

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

LOL he looks so annoyed in the one photo......... indeed he is a huge rat!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts

VERY VERY BIG!!!!! I think he's even bigger then my Zepher was..... 8O 8O

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

The first set, I thought, he's a bit chubby, but I wouldn't worry much. I'd call him a squishy boy.

In the second (more recent) set, I'm afraid he's extremely obese and it's going to seriously affect his health and lifespan. He will have problems getting around if he doesn't already, and will be more prone to hind-end degeneration. In other words, he's going to suffer for the weight if he doesn't already.

What do you feed him? Does he get lots of exercise?

·
Registered
995 Posts

Yes does he have and use a wheel?

·
Registered
181 Posts

I'd be concerned about his weight as well. They've actually found that the less fattening food they eat, the longer they live. Provided other things like cancer, etc. don't get in the way.

You definately need to get that boy some exercise.

·
Registered
995 Posts

If he doesn't use a wheel fill your bathtub with room temp luke warm water and make him swim.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Does he have a friend? That might help him out.

Some excercise ideas: Daily fun run time for at least an hour. Make sure you hand wrestle with him. Cat toy feathers on a string (my rats go CRAAZY over these) balls to chase, wheels (though he probably won't use it but it's worth the try)

But yeah I think cutting down the treats and keeping him on a simple lab block with veggies at night is the important thing. You might try to put his lab blocks and veggies throughout the cage so he has to work to get to them. That or wrap some up in a paper towel and hang it so he has to work to shred the towel.

But if he doesn't have a friend: A friend would help IMMENSLY with his weight! Rats wrestle all the time. They are truely social creatures and need friends. Without them they can waste away ):

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

Low fat, low protein diet has been proven to help extend a rat's natural lifespan. A lean rat is almost always healthier overall. Your boy is big boned in the first pics but definitely obese in the last ones. He's beautiful but see if you can improve his diet/exercise regime.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

When I first got him he was a bag of very sick bones. I has grown al ot in those 8-9 months.

I made a dr appointment for him. I will get him weighed then and ask if he is too fat.

He doesn't have a wheel. I was thinking of getting one but I don't think he will use it. He is rather lazy. He dose climb over my shoes and book selfs. He will play with one of those dangling cat toy thing but gets bored after about a minute and starts hoping away to do something else. Most of his fave things dont require much activity. Biting holes in shirts. Nipping my grandmas feet, trimming my nails, laying in front of a fan, being massaged..he wags his tail and kisses me when I pet him.
I play with him for at least an hour every day. I am growing him some grass in a rubber made container for him to pay in. I got another one to put water and peas in.

Any suggestions of activity's I can do with my lazy rat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I wrestle with him. He rolls on his back and kicks me with those big goofy feet. I tried getting him to play with balls. I got him ping pong balls. He ignores them. Im vegan. He gets loads of veggies.

His tail could use a good cleaning. I will go try and make him swim.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

He hated swimming. But his tail is clean.
I took some pics.

Dont pinch my fat rolls!

He had a fortune cookie stashed under my bed

Senting

Snowball mode

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

He's very cute! At least his tail is clean, even if he didn't like swimming. :)

Really, I think the best thing would be to let him free-roam as much as possible. Try and keep things interesting... build him "box castles" or mazes for him to run around in, maybe get a dryer hose tube for him to run through, etc. Try getting (or making) those cat toys on a stick, and see if you can get him to chase it around. The more active he is, the better. :)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts