Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to buy some fleece today to finally make liners for my critter nation, and ended up buying 16 yards. I paid more for it than I wanted to, but there are surprisingly few fabric shops where I live so I didn't have a ton of options. I wonder if there is anywhere online that would be cheaper. When I went to get it cut, the woman who was helping me naturally wanted to know what I was doing with 16 yards of different colors of fleece. I really thought about telling her I was making a blanket, but went ahead and said "Oh, I'm just making liners for my rat cage."

Her: A rat cage?
Me: Yep.
Her: rats?
Me: yep.
Her: huh. If that's your thing.

We ended up having a pretty cool conversation about non-conventional pets. It turns out she's always had house goats. I always love seeing people's reactions to me keeping rats though. A lot of people, especially younger people, just shrug it off like it isn't any different from a hamster or a guinea pig but a lot of people seem to have trouble with me keeping rats as pets. I actually love talking to those people though. So many people just don't have any idea what awesome animals rats really are. They cuddle, they play games, they learn tricks, they have personalities. It's great to have the opportunity to let other people know that. They will probably never keep rats as pets, but maybe from then on, they see my furry little friends a little bit differently.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We ended up having a pretty cool conversation about non-conventional pets. It turns out she's always had house goats. I always love seeing people's reactions to me keeping rats though. A lot of people, especially younger people, just shrug it off like it isn't any different from a hamster or a guinea pig but a lot of people seem to have trouble with me keeping rats as pets. I actually love talking to those people though. So many people just don't have any idea what awesome animals rats really are. They cuddle, they play games, they learn tricks, they have personalities. It's great to have the opportunity to let other people know that. They will probably never keep rats as pets, but maybe from then on, they see my furry little friends a little bit differently.
I live what you said here and have thought the same thing.

About fleece. I get mine at thrift stores in the bedding section (lots of funny prints can 'sometimes' be found that suit our rats' personalities!) and think it would be more affordable than purchasing fleece at a fabric store.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My fabric store ladies are fully indoctrinated, now, hehe.

They ooh and aah over my latest cage creations, and a few are even admitting to seeing my rats (even the double rexes) as "kind of cute."

One gal there loves them, but her brother always kept rats.

I admit, the naughty side of me gets a kick out of shocking some of the more uptight prissy ladies who are there to buy fabric, in the waiting-to-be-cut line.

They will often comment on how cute the fabric I've chosen is, and I'll smile and reply with "Isn't it adorable? It's going to look so great in their cage, and be so snuggly, for my rats."

I've even made them look at my cage creation pics. Yep, I'm that girl. ;D

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
LOL I love it!!! I'm getting so sick of people saying "oh my gosh you have RATS?! do you let them CRAWL on you?!"... I usually reply with something polite saying that they are great pets and not wild rats that I caught, etc etc... But.... I might start replying with things like "oh yeah, I only caught the plague briefly from one of my other girls, but it's fine, After a few months of bed rest I was good as new" ...
I think your method of just shocking them is better than both of the things I mentioned though, haha...

I like the idea of fleece, but honestly I don't have my own washer (apartment with coin laundry :S) and I like the idea of tossing for now, seeing as I'm a student and don't have much time :)

My fabric store ladies are fully indoctrinated, now, hehe.

They ooh and aah over my latest cage creations, and a few are even admitting to seeing my rats (even the double rexes) as "kind of cute."

One gal there loves them, but her brother always kept rats.

I admit, the naughty side of me gets a kick out of shocking some of the more uptight prissy ladies who are there to buy fabric, in the waiting-to-be-cut line.

They will often comment on how cute the fabric I've chosen is, and I'll smile and reply with "Isn't it adorable? It's going to look so great in their cage, and be so snuggly, for my rats."

I've even made them look at my cage creation pics. Yep, I'm that girl. ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
LOL I love it!!! I'm getting so sick of people saying "oh my gosh you have RATS?! do you let them CRAWL on you?!"... I usually reply with something polite saying that they are great pets and not wild rats that I caught, etc etc... But.... I might start replying with things like "oh yeah, I only caught the plague briefly from one of my other girls, but it's fine, After a few months of bed rest I was good as new" ...
I think your method of just shocking them is better than both of the things I mentioned though, haha...

I like the idea of fleece, but honestly I don't have my own washer (apartment with coin laundry :S) and I like the idea of tossing for now, seeing as I'm a student and don't have much time :)
Oh, I'm guilty of the sarcastic, snarky reply as well. Depends on my patience level that particular day, and if I think the person is at all reachable--or entrenched in ignorance and stereotype.

Love your plague reply.

As to the "CRAWL" remark, I'd likely have put on a sad face and asked them if they were making fun of my handicapped rats--because you know, healthy rats WALK and RUN, and only wheelchair-bound rats have to CRAWL.

But, then again, I have a repertoire of snarky replies by now--I have a Pit and a Doberman, and the Pit is my service dog, so you can imagine the ignorance we encounter, when out working in public.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts