Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have two female rats. And I have noticed they both have what I think is porphoryin (sorry if that’s spelled wrong) on their fur. I notice it especially on my rat who has white and black fur. One of them also has had a bit of porphoryin on her whiskers and occasionally very little on her nose. They sneeze a bit but I live in a dry dusty place ;( My other girl also looks like what I think may be some pee on her fur, I keep their cage clean, so I just don’t know if they are sick. Or fine. They act pretty normal, they run around and explore, eat regularly, drink water. Please let me know If I should take them to the vet or if this is normal. These are my first rats, and I’ve done lots of research, but I’ve never seen a sick rat myself so I want to be sure. Thanks! ☺

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi! I have two female rats. And I have noticed they both have what I think is porphoryin (sorry if that’s spelled wrong) on their fur. I notice it especially on my rat who has white and black fur. One of them also has had a bit of porphoryin on her whiskers and occasionally very little on her nose. They sneeze a bit but I live in a dry dusty place ;( My other girl also looks like what I think may be some pee on her fur, I keep their cage clean, so I just don’t know if they are sick. Or fine. They act pretty normal, they run around and explore, eat regularly, drink water. Please let me know If I should take them to the vet or if this is normal. These are my first rats, and I’ve done lots of research, but I’ve never seen a sick rat myself so I want to be sure. Thanks! ☺ View attachment 305560 View attachment 305561
I also know that you typically shouldn’t bathe rats, so I am not sure if I should bathe them or leave it be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Honestly, if they are acting completely normal, still eating and drinking normally you should be fine.

When I first brought my rats home one of them was REALLY sneezie, but that is just because he needed to get used to new smells. It sometimes takes a week or two for your rat to get used to its new home. He still sneezes sometimes, but other than that he's completely fine!

And just a tiny bit of porphyrin is COMPLETELY normal. If you just recently brought them home then they could just be a little stressed, but once they realize your not a threat, they will clean off the porphyrin more often.

If that's not the case, then the only thing I can say is 1) They might have just not felt like cleaning it off yet 2) They are stressed about something else. I'd watch your rats closely if you're nervous

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, if they are acting completely normal, still eating and drinking normally you should be fine.

When I first brought my rats home one of them was REALLY sneezie, but that is just because he needed to get used to new smells. It sometimes takes a week or two for your rat to get used to its new home. He still sneezes sometimes, but other than that he's completely fine!

And just a tiny bit of porphyrin is COMPLETELY normal. If you just recently brought them home then they could just be a little stressed, but once they realize your not a threat, they will clean off the porphyrin more often.

If that's not the case, then the only thing I can say is 1) They might have just not felt like cleaning it off yet 2) They are stressed about something else. I'd watch your rats closely if you're nervous

I have had them since late March, so around 3 months. One of them doesn’t act nervous at all, she’s very bold and does as she pleases. And the other one is a bit skittish. And gets nervous sometimes, especially with noise. But otherwise she acts normal and happy. I hear happy chittering from both.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have had several ratties that always woke up with some porphrine around their eyes. Some days just a little, some days a lot! I take a cotton ball with warm water and very gently wipe the gunk around the eye, but only every couple of days if they need it. If they aren't showing other signs of illness, then it could just be sensitive to bedding or detergent or airborne irritants.

Reactions: Friendshipy

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had them since late March, so around 3 months. One of them doesn’t act nervous at all, she’s very bold and does as she pleases. And the other one is a bit skittish. And gets nervous sometimes, especially with noise. But otherwise she acts normal and happy. I hear happy chittering from both.
That's great! I don't think you necessarily have anything to worry about, but if you are worried you can keep a close eye on them 😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great! I don't think you necessarily have anything to worry about, but if you are worried you can keep a close eye on them 😁
I will thanks!!! I’m just a helicopter mom because everything online is always like “your rat is dying right now.” 😂😂

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will thanks!!! I’m just a helicopter mom because everything online is always like “your rat is dying right now.” 😂😂
Yes, it's like if you google, "Why do I have a cough?" Google is like, "WARNING, YOU WILL DIE WITHIN THREE DAYS" Sometimes google is really NOT helpful 🤣

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had several ratties that always woke up with some porphrine around their eyes. Some days just a little, some days a lot! I take a cotton ball with warm water and very gently wipe the gunk around the eye, but only every couple of days if they need it. If they aren't showing other signs of illness, then it could just be sensitive to bedding or detergent or airborne irritants.
I was mainly worried because I saw it on my white rats fur Olive. Is their saliva red or is it porphoryin? Because I’ve checked fir scabs and she has none. I also use yesterday’s news as my bedding. 😌

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was mainly worried because I saw it on my white rats fur Olive. Is their saliva red or is it porphoryin? Because I’ve checked fir scabs and she has none. I also use yesterday’s news as my bedding. 😌
She honestly could have just not felt like cleaning herself right then, how is she doing now? Do you see any porphyrin?

Their saliva is clear by the way, though if she did clean some of it off and accidentally rubbed it onto her first somehow that would explain that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She honestly could have just not felt like cleaning herself right then, how is she doing now? Do you see any porphyrin?

Their saliva is clear by the way, though if she did clean some of it off and accidentally rubbed it onto her first somehow that would explain that
It was a bit dirtier earlier! But I noticed she has no porphoryin on her whiskers anymore, and just a little tiny bit on her back. But she is still just fine. I saw her play with her sister for the first time just now. So I would say she is great 😂 she also eats fine and never hesitates to take any food I have whether it’s in my mouth or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It was a bit dirtier earlier! But I noticed she has no porphoryin on her whiskers anymore, and just a little tiny bit on her back. But she is still just fine. I saw her play with her sister for the first time just now. So I would say she is great 😂 she also eats fine and never hesitates to take any food I have whether it’s in my mouth or not.
Lol, well that is great! I don't think you have anything to worry about really

1 - 12 of 12 Posts