Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rattie Love Rescue was contacted by a rescue in Illinois. They had rats that had been adopted out by someone who turned out to be mentally unstable (sadly, all the adoption contracts and checks in the world don't always turn up some things :(). This person ended up dumping 6 rats at a vet in Kentucky. These rats had been at this vet for a month, and the rescue had been charged $21 a day, $600 for the month.

Since we were not all that far away, we had no problems with driving to get this rats. As a rescue, we know that $600 is a LOT of money and would have no problems keeping the rats until transport back to IL could be worked out.

We drove the hour and a half, actually enjoyed it (back roads all the way!). Got there, got the rats, put them into the car...

I noticed one of the boys was in obvious respiratory distress. He was emaciated and probably dehydrated.

The others had some porphyrin and a sniffle or two, but seemed otherwise okay (since having clean cages, they are perfectly fine). But the cages were FILTHY and smelled so awful, it made our eyes water. They had food, but it was all tossed on the floor, the food bowls empty.

We were horrified! This wasn't a surrender we picked up from people who weren't caring for thir rats, this was rats that had been at a VETS office for a month! A vets office that charged more than some charge for dogs to be boarded!

We took them to one of our awesome quarantine homes, who cleaned the cages up, filled their tummies with really good food, and gave them loving. The very sick boy, obviously, was taken to our vet.

Our vet was shocked to learn he had been at a vet's office for a month! He is in severe respiratory distress, his lungs are filled with fluid, he is skin and bones, and he is near death's door.

He's now on baytril x2 a day, nebulizer treatments (I can't remember what we're putting in the nebulizer, I think it's another antibiotic, the paper is in the car), and bene-bac. We're also trying to get him/keep him very hydrated and he is eating some. But breathing is so hard for the little guy. :(

It's touch and go at this point. Hopefully, we caught it in time.

It's just... not only did the vet's office neglect them (dirty cages), they also allowed what they'd told the rescue in the beginning was "a little sneezing, but he's fine" and it turned into this. A rat, sat in a vet's office, and went from sneezing to severe respiratory distress. No vet care given.

How does that happen?!?!

I won't give our the name of the clinic in public, but it is in Maysville, KY and will give it out via PM if anyone is in the area and concerned. I don't know if they don't normally see animals besides dogs and cats, or what, but there is NO excuse for this.

Please keep "Jojo" in your thoughts. I know he had another name, but our vet needs one and so we made one up on the spot. He's a fighter, but this fight started before we could help... :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: I can't believe this happened...

The poor baby...

Apparently the vet didn't want to take care of the abandoned animals? :(

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

That's horrible. I can't understand how any vet, or the people who work at that clinic, could let any animal go uncared for. There's no excuse to not even keep the cages clean! It sickens me that something like this could happen. When animals are neglected at a vet's office, there's something seriously wrong. And that $600 went straight into their pockets, minus maybe $20 for the food they didn't even bother to put in the food bowls. Maybe they charged for the inconvenience of having to smell uncleaned rat cages for a month. The worst thing is, there's probably nothing that can even be done. I hope that vet feels really good about what s/he did. Probably doesn't even care.

I hope poor Jojo will pull through :(

·
Registered
489 Posts

Pooor Jojo...he is in my thoughts.

Some vets are sick n the head

·
Registered
227 Posts

What in the **** were they really charging you for anyway? They should have been glad someone was coming to take the rats that they were obviously not taking any care of. In fact, they should be paying you.

That is so disgraceful and disgusting to me. I don't care if you're a rat doctor or not, you should have the common sense to try and keep any animal in your charge from suffering needlessly.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Thanks to you, Jojo has a fighting chance now. Sending healing thoughts to the little guy.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Ah, that's just wrong! Best of wishes to poor Jojo!

·
Registered
187 Posts

What in the world? Now even vets don't do right by rats.
This is infuriating... I so hope someone in the area does something about it. Did you take pictures of the cages and such?

I so hope Jojo makes it... :(

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

you could replace that vet no problem! doesnt sound like a vet to me, more like a.....net! (first word that popped into my head that was actually a word) good job for rescuing 6 rats! how many do you have now? you're keeping them all right? cuz if your not then they prolly wont make it.....

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Read the post again. ;) They aren't our rescues, we are helping out with another rodent rescue. The vet wasn't ours, the old owner dumped them there. The original rescue of these rats will be getting them back when they are well enough to travel. Most rescues - including ours - will ALWAYS take their rats back at any time in their lives.

We've rescued more than these 6, LOL! Rattie Love Rescue has rehomed over 50 rats. Right now, there are 30ish rats here, with 5 on our waiting list. That's NOT including the 6, because they do NOT technically "belong" to our rescue. I assume at least the 5 healthy ones will be adopted out again, because if we kept all the rats that came into our rescues... We wouldn't be "in the business" for long!

Think I got that all straight. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Just an update... There appears to be one, if not two of the girls pregnant. They did have what may have been mites, and one had self-inflicted (from scratching) wounds. One does have a slight head tilt as well.

However, the 5 were picked up from my foster's house by the rescue they came from originally, and are going back there. Sedtal Rodent Rescue, they are located in Scott AFB, IL. There's some cutie PEW ratties (1 boy, 3 girls) (and possibly babies) that will be needing homes soon, so if you're nearby, check them out. Tell Kadee RLR sent ya. ;)

Jojo is staying as a RLR rattie. He improved for a few days after we rushed him to our vet, but then declined again - and worse than ever. So now, we're trying a different antibiotic, more aggressive reps. treatments, and some other things. *crosses fingers* We're going to do what we can for him, as he's shown time and time again that HE isn't ready to give up, so neither are we. He had put some weight on, but lost it. :( He is skin and bones, despite the fact that he is eating - and well. Our vet wants a re-check in a week, but if he is not improving in 3-4 days, we will take him back then. At that point, he'll probably need intensive, in-hospital treatment.

I hope to be able to say soon that Jojo is ready for his forever home. He's a major fighter, but this sickness has taken a huge tool on him. :(

If you're curious, btw, legal action is being pursued against the Maysville vet.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Kimmiekins said:
If you're curious, btw, legal action is being pursued against the Maysville vet.

That is good to hear. I cannot see how any real vet would allow such a terrible thing happen to an animal. Absolutely disgusting.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

What a terrible story Kimmie, those poor rats and those horrible "vets" :(

Poor Jojo is in my thoughts, fight little man!!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts

This my be a stupid question but can rats get tapeworms or an equivalent?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That actually isn't a stupid question. The vet had thought of worms herself, yesterday. Apparently there's a lung worm rats can get. She looked it up and found that rats HAVE gotten these worms in Hawaii and Louisiana. Now, as these rats traveled around, the vet decided to go ahead and worm him, just in case, as worming won't hurt. I hadn't even thought of it, myself, so I'd say if you're on-par with the vet, it's not a stupid question!

·
Registered
549 Posts

Yay! I didn't ask a stupid question!! I was thinking about a zo lab I had. Make sure the worms are not transferable to humans, they are very hardy, we dissected preserved tapeworms to make slides and we had to wear gloves and wash like crazy, the worms are capable of spreading even after being preserved :-(

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Not at all! :D Thanks for the info, I will let my foster know, and we'll all be very careful! I've heard that about worms... Crazy things, they are. Nasty, too. :p

·
Registered
549 Posts

Proglittids! The creepy thing about tapeworms (ok one of the creepy things) is that all of their sections (excluding the scolex aka head) are for reproduction which they do asexually :-( they are very good at spreading... I used to remember the life cycles of a bunch of parasites but now I forgot, fun stuff... I love my college

1 - 20 of 26 Posts