Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently they cant eiither....I was going to get them a lil wicker-type bird nest from the pet store the other day....but none really looked big enough since they have a habit of sleeping together i wanted to leave that option open and not make anyone jealous...sooooo crafty me....made a lil hanging nest for them out of a 3 liter bottle, i managed to sew felt around teh inside and around the hole they can go in and out of, no sharp edges....this morning....they chewed the felt off....i stabbed myself with the needle more times than i needed to making it....i just laugh....well im sure it was worth it for them....and it'll probably be on the floor of the cage by tomorrow.....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you get an A for effort & a gold star for creativity... (joke)

<smile>

Darn them for trashing it...

I make things for my rats as well but they have become for less elaborate over the years because of the fact that they will trash it in half the time it took to make it.

I have found that they really like hide outs made from plastic bottles & milk jugs. When I decorate them, I have to toss them out the next day. If I leave them plain & stuff them with a t-shirt that has been demoted to rat rag... it lasts forever.

go figure

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
neither can i, i spend more time making rat toys and cleaning cages, and deciding what to buy them next that they'll never use than i do with the rats

they like sleeping UNDER the dang hammocks that i hurt myself making

sorry for all the spelling errors today, sliced my main typing finger open in class today 8O

·
Registered
353 Posts
i just cut cloth into hammock like shapes, poke holes in the corners, and use yarn to attatch them to the cage bars.....and i bring home empty candy boxes and put them in his cage too.....easy to do, and he looooves me for it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you have dollar stores near where you are, look for the wicker hanging planter baskets. remove the plastic lining, put the basket in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any bugs it might have, then hang from the top of your cage and line with fleece. i also put tissues and newspaper strips in mine and my girls absolutely love it. when they're a bit cold, they snuggle under the fleece and when they're warm, they toss the fleece out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you know i was about to get a basket just like that for them, but the top of their cage is a lid, and i cant find the drill anywhere in the house so i could hang it.... ill have to just go get it and find a way to rig it. thank god for dollar stores!

Ralph has claimed the soda bottle nest....

he hid his treats in there then sits on them....

"THIS IS MINE....END OF STORY"

i just might have to make 2 more....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine did the same to me just last night.

I had to toss their hat (Pig always loved her hat to sleep in) because they trashed it, and decided to cut a 2 litre coke bottle in half and line it with an old t-shirt.

It took about five minutes to rip the t-shirt out and sleep on it, and leave the coke bottle in the middle of the cage. What a forlorn sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts