Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been the biggest f***** moron ever!!!

I'm working this morning (saturday) so of course, crawling out of bed at 6am is a bit of an effort. I woke up, gave Daphne her eyedrops and put her away before going to get dressed. I didn't think anything of it.

Only when I turned around 20 minutes later and realised that Jake looked smaller than usual did I realise I HAD PUT DAPHNE AWAY IN JAKES CAGE!!!!

It's a stupid stupid mistake made because I was half asleep! The cages are identical and the girls are underneath Jake's cage. I didn't even realise!!!

I don't think they've done anything. I'm counting on 4 factors

1) Daphne protests when Jake comes near her at the best of times, when I take them to the vets at the same time, if he shows too much interest she squeaks the house down. I heard none of that

2) Jake was still in his igloo and Daphne was running around outside it. Jake was showing absolutely no interest (he only poked his head out when I opened the cage to get Daphne out!)

3) Jake has a really bad back (the vet says arthritis) - therefore doesn't pay much interest to anything female. He's a safe candidate for carefully supervised free time (him on my lap, the girls running around) at the best of time

4) I checked her thoroughly - and can see no evidence of induced heat, or even her being slightly 'open' after her adventure.

I saw nothing, heard nothing, see nothing that would indicate hanky panky.

Neither are speutered.

What are my chances, do you think? 5 years and I have never even come CLOSE to this. Talk about being an idiot!!! :evil:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
fingers crossed you caught this in time

This is a perfect example of how mistakes can happen, even to the best of us.

Just mark the calender & say a little prayer each day.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think you would have heard something if the deed had been done... Rats tend to get noisy when they're around each other.

Thank goodness you caught it pretty quick! Here's hoping for some ear wiggling from Daphne in the next couple days...

Or, you could always bring her in for an e-spay, and then the potentiality of a problem is taken care of and you won't have to worry about her like that again!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming (and you kind of made me feel better for doing so) that she will go into heat if she's not pregnant?

She doesn't ear wiggle etc - but as she's hairless it's faily easy to see when she's in heat. I'll definately keep an eye for it!

I have thought of the e-spay (as it would be beneficial to get it done anyway) but she's been through so much recently with her eye problems etc that I think it might be too much stress. The last thing I want is operation stress to flare up her remaining eye again now we've finally got that under control.

Gah! This'll teach me to not do overtime again!

·
Registered
527 Posts
i think it'll be fine!
rats usually go into heat at night, correct? and if there was any.."ratty luv" stuff going on, then you would deffo have seen jake and daphne hanging out.
don't be so hard on yourself, we all make mistakes. :wink:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yeah, if she's not preggers I would think she will just continue on with her hormonal cycle like nothing happened. So if you know what she looks like when she's in heat, you should be able to know within four days or so if she's going to be a mommy or not. According to my logic, but I'm not a vet.

And as soon as I typed that I thought about all the surgeries your poor girl has been through, adding another would be a real shame. But being pregnant and raising babies isn't exactly stress-free, either. Either way, you'll be able to make a better call in a couple days, you could decide then. There's still a possibility that no changes will come out of this!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CaptainFlow said:
Yeah, if she's not preggers I would think she will just continue on with her hormonal cycle like nothing happened. So if you know what she looks like when she's in heat, you should be able to know within four days or so if she's going to be a mommy or not. According to my logic, but I'm not a vet.

And as soon as I typed that I thought about all the surgeries your poor girl has been through, adding another would be a real shame. But being pregnant and raising babies isn't exactly stress-free, either. Either way, you'll be able to make a better call in a couple days, you could decide then. There's still a possibility that no changes will come out of this!
I know babymaking is a stressful time of it, but I guess I'm thinking it'll be the lesser of two evils. The natural stress that she's born to deal with - or artificial stress caused by the spay. But you're right, hopefully in a few days I'll be able to know and make the decisions accordingly

Regardless though - it's my stupid mistake and of course I'll step up and take responsibility for it (and the babies, should the worst happen). But blimey - what a nightmare!

I guess this is another good reason why I have my rat-fund :lol:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Maybe Jake could get 'fixed' instead, and then they could be good company for each other? both having disability of sorts? Then you wouldn't have to worry about Jake and Any of the girls for sure.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mink said:
Maybe Jake could get 'fixed' instead, and then they could be good company for each other? both having disability of sorts? Then you wouldn't have to worry about Jake and Any of the girls for sure.
Jake is over 2 years old and not in the best of health (respiritory problems, ringworm and his back). It wouldn't be fair to spay him with so many factors riding against him.

Even if I was to neuter Jake - I could have this problem with any of my boys in the future.

This is a lesson learnt!

·
Registered
138 Posts
here's what you need to do

take a deep breath lol I'm sure nothing happened and look at the bright side...you learned your lesson right?
Maybe you should put the cages on completely different sides of the room...or even a different room to prevent this from happening again. You were tired...it happened.

if she's pregnant you better start calling pet stores lol
'do you have room for about 12 rats?'

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately the 'other room' option isn't applicable to me - I live in a 2 bedroom house with my mum, dad and sister. As I 'live' in our living room, this happens to be where all my rat cages are kept. As you can imagine - having 9 cages in one room doesn't really mean I have much choice where I put them. And as it goes, the only place to put either Jake or the 3 brother cage is on top of the girls - and Jake is the far safest option!

If she's pregnant, I won't pet-store the babies. I'll privately rehome and if no homes can be found, I'll keep them. I'm of the opinion that it's my fault - therefore my responsibility. Even if no one wants them and I'm stuck with an additional 15 babies - I'll make do. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies - yesterday I was absolutey kicking myself for my stupidity. You've made me feel better about it

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news!

Daphne went into heat tonight.

I guess Jake isn't as irresistable as I thought he was o_O (thank gosh)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
what a roller coster ride! glad everything turn out well. yoohay for ear waggles and frog hopping!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol. Daphne doesn't ear waggle OR frog hop! The only way I can tell is by physically checking her. Only sometimes will she get frisky and hump her 'sisters' during free-range time.

The poor girl - all last week I was manhandling her to 'check' her at least three times a night :lol:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What a shame, no ear wiggles...
Poor girl probably had no idea why you were bugging her! But at least it turned out alright in the end!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts