Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so terrible. I'm normally SO careful and move slowly and never put my entire weight down onto the floor while stepping off something unless I see there's no rats around me. I always look around my feet before I move anywhere, even to take one step, when the rats are out... Uggghhh I feel awful..

Mouse was out in the middle of the room and I was sitting on me knees playing or petting anyone who came to me. I pet her playfully and she ran off under the bed. I saw her go under the bed so I turned and moved my leg and put the entire weigh of my body onto my knee so I could stand up, and little Mousey happened to have ran back at that moment behind me and I put all my weight right on top of my knee and just crushed her tail... She screamed and I tried to move off as fast as possible.

The end of her tail now is red and purple already. The skin didn't break, but she jumps and cries whenever I touch it... I gave her pain/anti-inflammatory meds right away and have been trying to ice it. What do I do if it's broken? It seems to really hurt her. When it's touched at all she squeaks and pulls away. When the ice pack is sitting on her tail and I'm holding her, she just softly cries the entire time, it's breaking my heart!

What do I do if it's broken? How would I know? Is there any risk of infection somehow? Should she be put on antibiotics or anything? How are broken tails ends treated??

Oh man, I feel so terrible... It's always been a huge fear of mine to hurt one of my babies like this... At least I guess it's only the tail end and I didn't crush any other part of her.. :':)':)'(

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If it didn't bend at an awkward angle, it's probably not broken. You can go to the vet to get it checked out and see if any of those bones are loose.

Keep her topped off with children's ibuprofen. That's about all you can do for now.

Don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, cagedbirdsinging. I think the medicine is starting to work because she doesn't react as strongly now when I touch it. I have to actually give it a little squeeze before she tries to pull away. I'll see how she is tomorrow when the meds wear off. If she seems in pain a lot again, I'll have to give the vet a call. It's not bent at all, but it was smooshed pretty good.. Poor baby! I hope its just bruised..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If it's not bent at a weird angle then it's probably not broken but is take her to a vet ASAP. Points for mentioning that before I did. Good rat parent. ;)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The morning after she seemed much better. I had to squeeze it for her to react at all. I guess I mainly just scared her (and myself!) and it was understandably sore after having so much direct weight on a tiny tail. My rats need to stop scaring me so much! I'm always right on the verge of rushing them into an emergency vet thinking things are worse than they probably actually are!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm glad that she's getting better.

At least your ratties squeak...

There's been WAY too many times where I've attempted to sit down on my recliner, but alas have squished my lazy male rats.

They'll just squiggle.. I think it's kind of funny, but still!
They PURPOSELY go to where I'm about to sit down!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts