Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first rat at the end of August last year. I had never had rats before, didn't know much about them, but I was with a friend who had one and said they made great pets. I can't any pets that need grass (allergic) but I love pets so I thought a rat was a great idea.

I went and got Edward while my friend was still here and she was with me the first 2 weeks with him. He was about 12 weeks when I got him and grew quickly.

The day I got him

Right before Christmas, him getting himself stuck

Not knowing much about rats I believed what I was told and so when someone told me that introducing another rat wasn't a good idea, I decided one was enough.

This past week I went to Norway and went into a pet store and started talking with the owner. He had rats and told me there was no problem introducing another rat as long as it was done the right way.

Getting home yesterday I decided I wanted Edward to have a friend, so I got another rat. Giacomo. I talked to the lady at the store and when I said that I would put the cages next to each other to let them smell, she said that it was better to let them meet at neutral ground and then clean the cage out completely.

I get home, I let them meet in the bath tub. No fighting at all. I clean out the cage and a little later put them both in there. Still no fighting. Edward was running around for a while, smelling Giacomo's butt and all, but no fighting.

Giacomo yesterday - about 10 weeks

This picture was taken about 2 hours after they were introduced for the first time.

Over night Edward slept in his hammock and Giacomo in Edwards old house. Today when I got home from work they were both sleeping in the hammock. Edward is grooming Giacomo, and he's a little rough, but there is no squeaking from Giacomo. On the other hand, he squeaks if Edward is standing outside his house and doing nothing lol.

I'm still watching them carefully. Edward seems to get annoyed at Giacomo at times as he's full of energy and all over the place. Giacomo has also started bonding with me, walking onto my shoulders if I have it next to the cage, giving kisses etc.

No one ever told me a keeping them apart or keeping Giacomo in quarantine for 3 weeks, not even at the store. They are getting a long great now by the looks of it, I just hope they don't get sick.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, we all make mistakes. And there's nothing you can do now, except prepare for the worst (make sure you have funds for a vet visit, if God forbid, one does get sick), and hope for the best!

Hopefully the little one is healthy, and all will go well!!

At least you've found this site, now. I came here when I got my baby Roxie, and have learned SO much!!

Good luck with your *adorable* ratties! =)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Oh man well most pet stores wont tell you most pet stores probably aren't even aware. It's always best to learn about your pets the most you can before even buying them. And most sites will tell you that you should quarantine. But hey we all make mistakes like Rattiegma said and do be prepared just in case. I didn't know about Quarantine and all that until I came to this site. But it's so good to see they are getting along after just a day or two of knowing each other. So cute too!!!! I love that picture of Edward too big for his house lol Awe I can't wait until Luna's Quarantine is over and I can introduce her to Lilly.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Aww, Edward looks like my Nico. :D How adorable!

Don't worry about the mistakes you've made, we've all been "newbies".. just make sure you learn from them. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
They are both very sweet looking...I love the picture of Edward sqooshing himself in his house :) I hope no one gets sick, but at least know you'll know for next time and you have a heads up of what sickies to look for

·
Registered
321 Posts
They are both so sweet.
Good luck hopefully your furkids don't come down with anything =(, but be prepared just in case!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cute pics! I was reading your story in suspense thinking something really bad was going to happen. I was so relieved they are getting along fine and hope they stay healthy!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wont be introducing any more rats to my 3 girls ..but we are turning a room downstairs into a rat room so i will be getting another cage and choosing 3 more rats :D
Jess x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. The boys are now best friends even if Edward is a little jealous over all the places Giacomo can access and he can't. Edward is much happier and he has also gotten more cuddly in just the past days since I got Giacomo.

Giacomo is pronounced Gia, like the car Gia (I think there's a car called Gia lol) And como like Komo. Giacomo. The name is Italian.

I have posted more pictures over on Meet my Ret.

I have found the closest small animal vet place and I can walk over there, which is great. Just in case.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Awww, your boys are dolls! (speaking of dolls, I have that rat plushie. From Ikea, right?)

That's good news :3 I really really really hope things turn out alright for you, and them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah, totally Ikea lol. And thanks.

Me too. It's been almost a week and they both look fine. But I have to wait another 2 weeks I guess before I know.

·
Registered
323 Posts
aawwwwww....such cute pictures! show us more!

Good luck with your rats and if you have to take them to the vet.

Be prepared for the worst that could ever happen!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts