Rat Forum banner

I do have a question... how do I socialize my rat babies and help them become tamer?

399 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JustAGirlAndHerRats 
#1 ·
I got my 2 male babies from a rescue. 4 males were in a cramped tank and I took 2 to start. They seem used to people but not especially friendly or looking to be handled. One actually bit me when I stuck my finger through the bars. He didn't break skin but it was an aggressive bite. How do I get them over this? They are about 8-10 weeks old. :confused:

#2 ·
The little guy probably bit you because it's not good to stick your fingers through the bars. Rats have terrible eye site and usually think fingers between the bars of their cage are food. There's different ways of socializing. Either taking your time and letting them learn to trust you, or making them trust you. Rats can learn either way, the first method includes lots of treats and patience, put something that you wear a lot (or use) and place it in the cage for a few hours everyday. (Remember to be careful as some ratties like to chew EVERYTHING!) A few times everyday open the cage door and try to give them treats by hand- remember to be quiet and not mess with your boys much, if they're eating a snack you gave them, a quick little pet on the back or side is a good reward for you! Stick your hand in the cage for them to smell, and over time they should start to crawl on your hands and arms!! The other method is force socialization. This means constantly handling your ratties until they aren't afraid anymore. A lot of people put a hoodie on backwards and put their rats in the hood so they can see them at all times. This method is the easiest! All you do is hold, carry, and pet your boys until they learn to trust you! Remember treats should be used in both methods as rats have a fond spot for good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.