Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hasn't even been two weeks since I lost Isis and today I found a mammary tumor on Freyja. I honestly cannot imagine not having Freyja in my life; she and I bonded instantly the moment I took her and her two day old litter from a terrible pet store. It is really bothering me how short their lifespans are and how horribly common illnesses are in them. I knew all of this when I first got rats, but I think it's just now really starting to sink in. I don't know if I'll get more rats after my current mischief passes. I've always thought of myself as a fairly emotionally resilient person, but I just can't handle one loss/illness after another like this.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I completely know how you feel. I've lost countless pets over the years. But I simply cannot even think about me not having rats anymore. But after I loose them I will probably feel like you again. Unfortunate there isn't a super rat that lives 10 years. Yet.....

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It took me a while to come to terms with losing our first best furry friend so soon. But I realized that rats live short but complete lives and they move on to make room for the next generation... Isis died so that another rat can find room in her cage and in your heart.

The truly amazing Fuzzy Rat passed away to make room for Max (born on the day Fuzzy Rat passes away) who would otherwise have become snake food as a pup. And Max gave up her life so Misty could have a place in our home and in our hearts...

Yes, I still miss Fuzzy Rat and Max, but I love Misty now too... It hurts to lose a best friend, but as best I can I honor their memory by giving another deserving rat a chance to become amazing too...

I hope you find comfort in knowing you have improved another life and peace with your decision whatever you decide.

·
Registered
918 Posts
*Big hugs* I know the feeling. When my Pinky passed away many years ago, I just couldn't bring myself to go out and get more rats, and start the whole process again. They are amazing pets, and I love them so much, but their life cycle is short and painful.

Now I feel like I can take them on again, but I know in the back of my head that 2 -3 years will go by in an instant, and it will be sad and a painful time. It's okay to take some time to decide if you'd want to get more, hold off, or not get anymore.

I'm sorry you're going through this with your rats passing.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
In re-reading my last post I didn't mean to imply that you should or shouldn't get another rat, mostly it always depends on how you feel about it... Just sometimes if feels wrong to "replace" a loved one, because you really never can replace a best friend and that you shouldn't feel bad about wanting someone else to love... I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through this. I know how you feel. I may of had rats in my life for the last 20 years or so, but between each pair (always pairs till my HUGE current group) I went years before being getting some again.

I will not get more when we lose our current rats. However, after a few years the memory of sadness will fade and the memories of the good times will be the strongest, so who knows what my future will bring.

We just got a new bunny last week. It took me 25 years to get another after losing my Blackjack. I definately take my pets deaths hard and have to have a lot of time inbetween before I'm ready to open my heart up again.

With all that said, when I know that when one of my pets are getting old and the time is getting near I say to **** with all the good diets and perfect care and just give them everything their little heart desires. (within reason of course, I wouldn't give a diabetic a bunch of sugar or something totally stupid that would defeat making them happy) Sometimes those last years, months, weeks or days can be really special and bring a lot of happiness despite whatever illness has fallen on them. Lots of time snuggling in bed with them, handing them junk food, even makes you happy when your sicky chews a hole in your favorite quilt..just to see them doing what they do. :) Those can be really happy memories when you look back.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
*hugs* I am sorry you are having to go through that. It is definitely the hardest part about rats, their short lives coupled with being prone to such health issues.

On my heart rat Khaleesi's one year birthday I began worrying..will she have another year? 2? more? I can't imagine not having her. But at the same time it opens up my heart to new rats to get to know and love. i know I get to have a new rat to spoil and try to make have the best life possible for that short time. So that helps me cope alittle bit. But I know it is terribly difficult. It is not fair

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just lost my issac after three years in July. He was an awesome buddy but he was in a lot of pain towards the and it was hard watching him suffer. I didn't think I could do it again ever but i was browsing a pet store (I have 4 dogs and two cat and screwy chinchilla) and I met Ruth. She and I have been through a lot together since August 14th but we have an incredible bond I would've missed if I hadn't snuck a peak at the rat bin! Peace be with in your journey.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the support, guys. I think that I'm just overwhelmed with everything going on right now. I know that I still have time with Freyja, I just never wanted to think about losing her, especially so soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts