Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat is about a year and a half old, I bought him to replace my older rats cage buddy. After a couple weeks the older rat passed away so my little boy was alone but now that he is older I got offered another rat, he is 2 years old so I figured that since they were around the same age they would be good together. It's been about 4-5 months that i've had them in the same cage. They seem to get along very well. They always sleep together and don't fight very often but my 1 1/2 year old rat has started to make odd noises at night... :? Hes never done this before. It sounds like hes just squeeking alot but I dont know if this is him just "talking" to his new buddy or is it something I should be concerned about. I've owned 3 rats in the past, they had made a lot of noise but they were always vocal but this sound is scary it sounds like he is stressed but he has no need to be. I was hoping someone could help me understand if this is normal or not. Your help would be awesome :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is happing when he makes these squeaks? Is the other rat bothering him? What is he doing when he is squeaking?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I think you need to separate the two and take 1 1/2 year old to a vet. When you put the two together did you quarantine and do proper introductions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know its not the other rat bothering him because when I look to see what is happening hes just sitting by himself making these squeeks, He normally only does it when it starts to get dark. Could he be afraid of the dark? because I use to have his cage near a fish tank that always had its light on and now hes not near it.. I did seperate them and quarantine them, I also took my time introducing them and I introduced them in a nuetral area.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
SunnyTheSeal said:
I know its not the other rat bothering him because when I look to see what is happening hes just sitting by himself making these squeeks, He normally only does it when it starts to get dark. Could he be afraid of the dark? because I use to have his cage near a fish tank that always had its light on and now hes not near it.. I did seperate them and quarantine them, I also took my time introducing them and I introduced them in a nuetral area.
I don't know where it is but there is an artical saying that rats need so many hours of complete dark a night. It has something to do with neurological stimuli. I will look up the information for you and post it. The amount of light coming fromt he fish tank may have messed up soemthing. Again I am basing all of this on something Iread once and didn't pay much attention to since my rats get lots of time int he dark and the light LoL.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
all animals need so much day light every day, it's what controls their hormone cycles, and thus their reproductive and growth cycles, and often their moods. that's why in seattle, where it rains over 300 days a year, we officially have the highest suicide rates, whereas in colorado, where we have over 300 days of sunshine every year, we don't, and instead we breed some fabulous hippies (lol, just joking, seriously, i'm not a hippie-hater in the least). but if you mess that system up, like leaving a nightlight on all the time (which i don't think would mess that up anyway), getting him back to a normal schedule of night and day should actually make him better. thus i don't think it's the light.

instead, i'd check to see if he doesn't have any respiratory problems, maybe? have you switched bedding recently? started burning candles? incense? neighbors having a bbq? did you do proper QT on your boys and how long have they been together?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help so far you guys have been great :) and to answer some questions : no I havnt changed the type of bedding ive always used the same type I however have changed the cage, they have more room now. No I dont burn candals, they give my mom headaches.Yes I did QT them and they have been together for about 4 months I'd say. Do you think that I should leave my tank light on again ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hmm, that's odd. I don't believe rats would be afraid of the dark... Though anything certainly is possible.

Now, you say he's just sitting there when he's squeaking? He's not been moving around, playing with the other rat?

If he's 2 1/2 and making squeaking sounds and you're not sure why, I think I'd take him into the vet and get him checked out.

What type of bedding do you use, by the way?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts