Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, LeeLee meet her little brother-my boyfriends rat- for a few seconds under very close supervision, except when I walked out of the room for a moment and left my boyfriend in charge.
That was last Friday or Saturday night so about 10 days ago. Are there any signs I should be looking for? Should I separate her until she either gives birth or it's been too long?
Is there anything else I should be aware of? Other questions I should be asking?
Thank you, I'm hoping she isn't pregnant!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I will spare you the lecture since I am sure you now understand mixing two genders even with ''supervision'' was a terrible idea. The most sure fire way to tell if your rat is pregnant is to do daily weigh ins using kitchen scales. If she is indeed pregnant, there will be noticeable weight gain. Her nipples will also look more pronounced and pink and she may exhibit nesting behavior. There may also be a change in attitude - either overly clingy or more standoffish/aggressive seeming than usual. I would not separate her just yet until you know for sure. As soon as you know, I would start stocking up on the basics and in the meantime do your research and monitor her carefully.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate being spared the lecture. She has seemed to be acting differently but I'm also overly paranoid.
I have a DCN, if I block off the top level for the rest of my girls-when the time comes-and take out the level, would that be ok for her to have the babies in?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've never had a preggers rat, but I think they are supposed to be in tanks so that the babies don't fall through the bars. I could be wrong though, since I honestly have zero experience with this. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
A pregnant mom should birth in a tank. Not a cage. Babies can fall through bars or even get caught in them and killed. Not to mention escaping once they become mobile.

She will need ample nesting material and a secure place to birth, a large igloo will do fine. I would use something plastic so you don't have to disturb the nest a ton because it gets dirty. A nice pile of shredded fleece will be perfect nesting material, she will build her own nest if it's offered.

Start supplementing her with higher protein foods now, like scrambled eggs and cat food.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Too soon to tell I think.

Cute baby girl though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.