Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about letting my little ones roam in the office in my townhouse for awhile, so I went ahead and did it. There are no real bad points as the room is used by my husband for work. I piled some pillows on the floor, closed the door (cats), and let them loose. Endora has explored every nook and cranny. She is especially cute when she plunges into the stuffed animals on the shelves. Esmerelda is a little hesitant and kind of a scaredy cat. Both of them constantly come to me as if I am home base. It is especially cute to see them running at full force across the floor. I still monitor them because of wires. They don't seem to be too interested in chewing as of yet. In my bedroom, where the cage is, my only concern would be the box springs. I'm seriously thinking of just having my mattress on the floor so they can explore. There is more room in the computer room, though. Now if I can just keep Endora from climbing everything...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good for your rats! Free ranging will keep them entertained and happy. But monitoring is necessary. I rat proffed my play room pretty well, still I do not leave them unsupervised for more than a few minutes. You can try to place some objects in which they can hide. But make it something where you can easily retrive them if necessary, eg. cut and glue a few boxes together. And if your rats climb on shleves, maybe consider placing something soft under shelves, like pillows. I know they can't really hurt themselves by falling, and they will fall, but I am so cautios that I put old pillows on floor next to my shelf cabinet.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's so liberating when you get to free range your rats! You don't have to worry about little escape artists finding the weak points in your playpen. I recently decided to let my boys free range and it turned out amazing. Now their cage is always open when I'm up in my room and they are free to come and go as they please. I'm about to make something for them to be able to climb up to my bed and see me because as of late I've been having back issues and can't really sit on the floor with them as long. But congratulations! They always seem so much more excited when they can run around without a care. And it's a relief for us as well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts