Rat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
i’ve currently got a giant igloo, three small igloos, a sputnik/space pod, an igloo that’s supposed to be a burrowing toy for dogs but was perfectly rat sized so i repurposed it, a hammock that’s in process, and a lot of various cat toys, as well as an old beanie that’s now chewed to pieces, and a cardboard castle i spend far too much time on a while ago
are there any types of bird toys you’d recommend? i’m thinking of getting actual ladders (instead of making them or doing something cheap) cause they’re not too expensive on the petco app, and i’ve been trying to convince someone to take me to Ikea, but if you have any advice, recommendations, or name suggestions, i’m extremely open and would appreciate any help i can get
Yep rats do brain wash you I was going to have just 2 rats but now I have 3 their names are martie Louie and alfie their all boys and they are nesting ain’t that weird I give them a paper towel they shred it and martie brings it to the plastic hut and Louie is making a nest in his litter box (why) :) alfie just switches sleeping spots a lot I’m 12 yrs old and a new rat owner I recently got them the best quality cage I could afford the critter nation double they absolutely love it if anyone’s is having a hard time deciding what cage I really recommend critter nation double i am in love with rats they have just the most quirky little personality’s

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
52 Posts
Yep rats do brain wash you I was going to have just 2 rats but now I have 3 their names are martie Louie and alfie their all boys and they are nesting ain’t that weird I give them a paper towel they shred it and martie brings it to the plastic hut and Louie is making a nest in his litter box (why) :) alfie just switches sleeping spots a lot I’m 12 yrs old and a new rat owner I recently got them the best quality cage I could afford the critter nation double they absolutely love it if anyone’s is having a hard time deciding what cage I really recommend critter nation double i am in love with rats they have just the most quirky little personality’s
Hi there, welcome to the Rat Fan Club! Yeah, boys nest as much as girls do. Think of it as “bedding” instead of “nesting” — not like birds nesting for eggs and chicks, but instead like creating a warm, comfy bed for kicking back or taking a snooze. Rats LOVE to “redecorate” their homes, and a DCN for three boys is truly a mansion! They are pretty funny about bringing things into their litter boxes (maybe he’s bringing the paper in for “reading material” while he’s doing his “business”). Mine always ate food in their boxes as well, and sometimes left food there. I did finally stop using litter boxes with the latest batch of rats, since they use the litter boxes only 50% of the time or so and the boxes took up a lot of room, so the boys now have no litter boxes and more STUFF in the cage to randomly poop on. Yes, our chosen pets are indeed quirky!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the Rat Fan Club! Yeah, boys nest as much as girls do. Think of it as “bedding” instead of “nesting” — not like birds nesting for eggs and chicks, but instead like creating a warm, comfy bed for kicking back or taking a snooze. Rats LOVE to “redecorate” their homes, and a DCN for three boys is truly a mansion! They are pretty funny about bringing things into their litter boxes (maybe he’s bringing the paper in for “reading material” while he’s doing his “business”). Mine always ate food in their boxes as well, and sometimes left food there. I did finally stop using litter boxes with the latest batch of rats, since they use the litter boxes only 50% of the time or so and the boxes took up a lot of room, so the boys now have no litter boxes and more STUFF in the cage to randomly poop on. Yes, our chosen pets are indeed quirky!
Thanks for writing back :) I have endothermic question how do you Introduce rats like if you have two very small lil guys

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went to the pet store yesterday for our dog and there were these lil baby rats they were agouti and black and white they were in the snake row i felt so bad for them because their future is in a snake and I didn't want them to have that future no rat should have that future and so I’m thinking but I’m worried what should I do I got my rats from a breeder known as perfect storm rattery that was the only breeder in my area thx

·
Registered
5 rats, 6 cats, a dog, a snake, a bearded dragon, and fish
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Marties little funny face and Louise home in the litter box View attachment 307154 View attachment 307155
aw! you’re adorable and so are your rats!
i’m lucky because i never had any problems introducing my rats, i just threw them in together and they did just fine, but have you heard of the carrier method, neutral space method, or any of the various introduction methods? if not, i’d look it up on the forum.
getting feeder rats is a huge debate in general, but if you like the rats and you’re willing to put in the time and patience some feeder rats need, i don’t see much of a problem with it. ask the pet store for any information on them you can get, definitely quarantine for two weeks, and enjoy your new rats! (also definitely make sure they’re sexed correctly bc that’s a common issue) i don’t have good experience with the double cn, as of last night, i wrote an entire spicy review on it, but it was awful and i’m going to have to try and return it and hopefully get a new one that isn’t entirely messed up (really i just wanted a cn that worked since i’ve heard such wonderful reviews on it, but my moms trying to find a different manufacturer, and i still want a dcn, just not the piece of junk sitting in my living room rn)

·
Registered
46 Posts
aw! you’re adorable and so are your rats!
i’m lucky because i never had any problems introducing my rats, i just threw them in together and they did just fine, but have you heard of the carrier method, neutral space method, or any of the various introduction methods? if not, i’d look it up on the forum.
getting feeder rats is a huge debate in general, but if you like the rats and you’re willing to put in the time and patience some feeder rats need, i don’t see much of a problem with it. ask the pet store for any information on them you can get, definitely quarantine for two weeks, and enjoy your new rats! (also definitely make sure they’re sexed correctly bc that’s a common issue) i don’t have good experience with the double cn, as of last night, i wrote an entire spicy review on it, but it was awful and i’m going to have to try and return it and hopefully get a new one that isn’t entirely messed up (really i just wanted a cn that worked since i’ve heard such wonderful reviews on it, but my moms trying to find a different manufacturer, and i still want a dcn, just not the piece of junk sitting in my living room rn)
Thx for the advise :) I love to share my feelings about the beautiful creatures of our planet :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thx for the advise :) I love to share my feelings about the beautiful creatures of our planet :)
also here’s a picture of me with my (i’m not picking favorites but she’s my favorite) rat and it really shows her personality
Smile Eyebrow Vertebrate Jaw Mammal

(also pls ignore the angle, it was just awful but yeah) and the other day! i’d totally forgotten about this cause i wrote it off as a dream since it was too good to happen to me- but my totally-not-favorite rat was in my shirt (as she always is) and she let me pet her and stopped moving and i felt her head vibrate so i think she was boggling! after she was done, she licked all my fingers and my hand and was very sweet

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can’t choose favorites either and that would be awesome if that wasn’t a Dream my rats don’t sit still out side of the cage and how do you get to take your rats out on the couch and they don’t get under peoples feet ?and not scared my rats they get scared if I bring them upstairs (and of course I live in the basement ) it’s quite my sister is super loud !! So I stay away every day I give them a little salad I recently learned (like yesterday) that broccoli is extremely healthy for rats and can make them live longer lives help bone development and dental Health I have enough time to do this because my parents both have COVID and im stuck at Home but I’m getting a ratty box soon !! My mom sighned me up for this thing everymonth you get a new little box full of rat treats and hammocks and chew toys that’s cool right!! What does your cage look like I’d like to see a few pictures Sunday is my cage cleaning day I use cardboard as their bedding because one of my rats martie my sisters favorite my sister always pushing me to choose favorites I’m their mom I can’t choose favorites ! He has very sensitive respiratory system I just love when I meet people that get rats like me we’re I live it’s a very small town not that small but so not that many people under stand why I like rats ! But my school libraryien does and you look cool 👍

·
Registered
46 Posts
How do you write that thing under your name thing and wow you have five rats six cats a dog a snake and a bearded dragon I was going to get a leopard gecko but I have a snail now so I have one dog one cat 3 rats 2 snails and a bunny and maby a nother rat on it’s way to my home do you know what your rats birthday is all of mine birthday is July 1 and I’m worried if a get another rat that they wouldn’t get elong because they aren’t the same age ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Picture of
lol i just read all of the replies, introductions between rats with large age gaps can have their own quirks, but it usually doesn’t effect the dynamic too much (unless the younger rat is just super dominant or the older rat is more aggressive) i change up my cage setup every day, but as the CN didn’t work out well yet, all of my rats are currently in tanks. i separated out my females and males yesterday since Ruby (youngest, probably pregnant) has been getting scratches and patchy fur on her body and face. i’m worried the males were harassing her or the older female was a little too assertive or something, she’s been sneezing a lot but i think it’s because of the cage move. i have the females in a ten gal tank with a tank topper, again it was only temporary and hopefully a replacement cage will come in the next few days. the nursing mom and babies are in a 20 gal, since we wanted to give her the big igloo for more nesting space as the babies get bigger (and when they’re young hyperactive rat lets, they have more space to zoom around). the males are stuck in a ten gal on my book shelf unfortunately, but they’ve been housed there before without issue.
my male rats were born probably in November, they’re both sweet and have great temperament, but are still timid as i’ve given more of my attention to the girls. they are married, deeply in love, and the best gay rats around. the albino was supposed to be a feeder but he really loved the brown one, they would hug and snuggle constantly and we couldn’t bear to feed the albino after that. i haven’t seen any issues with them, both with temperament and health, and i’d really like them to go to a home with someone who knows how to take care of rats 😅
don’t worry if you can’t take them, i will be able to find a home for them. i’m also in Texas, and you’re probably not. i have nine newborns, and more on the way. these will be raised as pets to the best of my ability and i’ll know considerably more about them than the ones who were originally feeders.
also with all the cats, my “free roam” is more like having them in my jacket while i sit on the couch. i don’t have a rat-proof area yet, and thankfully no one steps in the rats since they haven’t been on the floor. the space im working with is pretty much my side of my room (i’m already crammed there and i have no room nor any way to make room) and my desk (i can’t even walk between my desk and the wall cause the chair blocks it off, my rat cages are stored on a bookshelf and a chest that’s full of blankets made for torturing people (aka blankets people keep as heirlooms and never get rid of and they haunt you forever) i’m actually breaking the laws of shared space since my girls are on the fireplace since they don’t fit on a shelf with the tank topper, but i have cleaning supplies, toys, food, everything. just crammed into a corner. i’m not allowed to keep the tote with the bedding in it inside so it’s sitting outside on the porch with the new bag but yeah) we’re going to rehome the snake soon, since i’m keeping the rats, and the dog went with my stepdad when he… relocated. the fish mostly went to his friend, but we have 4 betta tanks left. my sister got the bearded dragon because she’s great like that, and one day the bearded dragon will be mine because she’s great like that. i was only allowed to get the rats because the snake and my moms concerned about my mental health and thinks that since i don’t spend time with friends or running around being a teenager, maybe taking care of animals will give me something to do with my life. my home situation is funky, my mental health is funky, but at least i have rats. for the record, i do actually have a lot of friends, but i don’t hang out with them outside of school cause i’m an introvert. i’m hoping i can take the rats with me when i switch between what house i’m staying at, and whenever i finally get to move out, my one requirement is really just keeping my rats. sorry, i’m prone to over sharing. i’m hoping to get a job at a pet store near my house, and eventually i’ll have to figure out driving, but i don’t really want to have to adult yet so i’m just stuck waiting for something to change.
really sorry about the infodump, my rats are doing okay and so am i.
you can access account settings somewhere and change what information is displayed, and your cage looks awesome!
i’m going to start interacting with the babies more tomorrow and i’m super excited!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow me two I usally share way too much but it’s cool that’s how you can get to know people better I used to not like rats until I met one at a pet store I fell in love so I decided to become a rat mom I have a small room too that is their free roam I recommend just taping togeather a bunch of cardboard peces and Vualla you have a play pen this is the Lay-out of my room I have a small tank on my shelf for my snails in this pic I’m taking a pi from the door of my room my rat cage takes up a large chunk of my room my rats love corks from wine bottles to chew on you should find some corks my rats went absolutely crazy for them ( the corks) I recommend the critter nation tho I got mine off of chewy and it came in perfect shape I of course used all my savings I’m nearly a teen in a few month I will be of course my family thought I was crazy when I wanted rats but i convinced them in the end these are two of my boys getting treats from their spinner I don’t have That many friends my mom says you have to be a unique person to own rats :) Im a big chatter box by the way I’m not good at math in school and I’m not a popular kid I’m one of those side people that the main people always play tricks on but I have a small group of friends we call ourselves the haha have a hug association . By the way I consider you my Friend :) I live in California I recently moved here from Germany I lived in Germany for 8 years I speak fluent German my dad was in the military :) toodles i am a happy person even when IM sad all people ever see in me is my smile ( and emojis )
Pet supply Wood Mesh Floor Flooring

Plant Interior design Wood Picture frame Ladder

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
52 Posts
Wow me two I usally share way too much but it’s cool that’s how you can get to know people better I used to not like rats until I met one at a pet store I fell in love so I decided to become a rat mom I have a small room too that is their free roam I recommend just taping togeather a bunch of cardboard peces and Vualla you have a play pen this is the Lay-out of my room I have a small tank on my shelf for my snails in this pic I’m taking a pi from the door of my room my rat cage takes up a large chunk of my room my rats love corks from wine bottles to chew on you should find some corks my rats went absolutely crazy for them ( the corks) I recommend the critter nation tho I got mine off of chewy and it came in perfect shape I of course used all my savings I’m nearly a teen in a few month I will be of course my family thought I was crazy when I wanted rats but i convinced them in the end these are two of my boys getting treats from their spinner I don’t have That many friends my mom says you have to be a unique person to own rats :) Im a big chatter box by the way I’m not good at math in school and I’m not a popular kid I’m one of those side people that the main people always play tricks on but I have a small group of friends we call ourselves the haha have a hug association . By the way I consider you my Friend :) I live in California I recently moved here from Germany I lived in Germany for 8 years I speak fluent German my dad was in the military :) toodles i am a happy person even when IM sad all people ever see in me is my smile ( and emojis ) View attachment 307173
View attachment 307172
Just curious where you moved in California. I’m in San Diego, we have a military base here so I thought maybe you are in the area. If so, I can recommend a god place for rat adoption, food/treats and also new and used items for cage/play area. (I’m an almost 50 year old woman so not a good option as a “friend,” but am always happy to help other rat parents ;-)

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
52 Posts
Just curious where you moved in California. I’m in San Diego, we have a military base here so I thought maybe you are in the area. If so, I can recommend a god place for rat adoption, food/treats and also new and used items for cage/play area. (I’m an almost 50 year old woman so not a good option as a “friend,” but am always happy to help other rat parents ;-)
Haha, “good” place, not “god” place — not bringing religion into it!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts