Rat Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ooh and I love to DRAW this is a drawing I did in paper but colored it online (and I love raccoons/ trash pandas when ever I look at my rats I just imagen a rat in a little trex onesi because of their little arms or little rats that are pears because rats are shaped like pears :)
Dog Working animal Dog breed Art Carnivore

·
Registered
46 Posts
Haha I consider people who like the same things as me like rats rats rats !!! Friends I live in the San Louis Obispo area :) and deffently not bringing religion into this it can cause quit a few misunderstandings :)

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
52 Posts
Darn, San Luis Obispo is a bit of a stretch, hopefully there are some good spots near you. I bet you’ll meet more folks locally who are keen on rats, and if they don’t know enough about them you can always be a rat ambassador and create converts. Have you checked out ”Shadow the Rat” on YouTube? It’s a great channel for rat enthusiasts. Best to you and your ratties…

·
Registered
5 rats, 6 cats, a dog, a snake, a bearded dragon, and fish
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wow me two I usally share way too much but it’s cool that’s how you can get to know people better I used to not like rats until I met one at a pet store I fell in love so I decided to become a rat mom I have a small room too that is their free roam I recommend just taping togeather a bunch of cardboard peces and Vualla you have a play pen this is the Lay-out of my room I have a small tank on my shelf for my snails in this pic I’m taking a pi from the door of my room my rat cage takes up a large chunk of my room my rats love corks from wine bottles to chew on you should find some corks my rats went absolutely crazy for them ( the corks) I recommend the critter nation tho I got mine off of chewy and it came in perfect shape I of course used all my savings I’m nearly a teen in a few month I will be of course my family thought I was crazy when I wanted rats but i convinced them in the end these are two of my boys getting treats from their spinner I don’t have That many friends my mom says you have to be a unique person to own rats :) Im a big chatter box by the way I’m not good at math in school and I’m not a popular kid I’m one of those side people that the main people always play tricks on but I have a small group of friends we call ourselves the haha have a hug association . By the way I consider you my Friend :) I live in California I recently moved here from Germany I lived in Germany for 8 years I speak fluent German my dad was in the military :) toodles i am a happy person even when IM sad all people ever see in me is my smile ( and emojis ) View attachment 307173
View attachment 307172
aw!
im certainly not a popular kid, and i’m not the kind of kid most people are equipped to handle, seeing as im queer and genderqueer, so a lot of people don’t accept me. even before i came out i was bullied cause i was always the quiet weird kid. i have a certain kind of person i can’t stand (just the basic popular teenage boy) and right off the bat, i give very spicy responses, which they think is hilarious and in turn keep messing with me. it’s never that big of a deal, i just don’t want to waste time or energy on them, and they keep annoying me while i’m trying to work. i actually have quite a few friends (because they’re all queer) and i’m doing a lot better socially than a few years ago.
anyways, your room looks great! my sister and i have always shared a room, and she’s supposed to go off to college in a few months, but she’s the worst roommate and i’m not going to miss having her here. my sister puts her stuff on my space and won’t let me keep the rats in our room, which would be fine if she wasn’t constantly leaving stuff everywhere. she just doesn’t think about a lot of things, and so the house is full of her random socks and candy wrappers and she turned out the light while i was in the shower twice. she’s got a thing with putting her stuff in my sink and not taking it out, as well as putting her stuff on my beanbag. i gave up a while ago and now i just live with a random air purifier right next to me and her laundry hamper by my feet. i have to pick my battles or else everything will be a battle because of how much stuff she’s done. my moms a bit… fun. she’s got some issues and gets angry really easy. my dad left when i was eight, my mom remarried 7 years ago, and my stepdad just filed for divorce, taking my three year old brothers with him. he was supposed to take me and my sister, but my mom has custody and he’s not the biggest fan of my sister. my sister does not have many people who have to deal with her constantly and enjoy it. she’s a basic teenage girl, with a few exceptions. boy problems, friend drama, crashed the car 3 times this year, all that fun stuff, and she’s also super into band. she plays bassoon and is head drum major for our school. that’s great, except now our house is full of human sized instruments, and i secretly despise most classical music so it drives me crazy when she randomly plays it or practices. she’s really good tho, just made all-state, which is a huge deal. she’s getting good scholarships, her college is not going to be an issue since bassoon players aren’t very common, particularly skilled ones. she drives everyone in my family crazy because she keeps making stupid choices, but that’s a rant for another day.
my mom is a lovely person. i know her better than anyone else and i got a lot of my personality from her. unfortunately, she’s not very… safe. she has a tendency to be physically and emotionally abusive, and if anyone needs proof, just look at me.
speaking of which, me. on the note about mental health, mine plummeted freshman year and hasn’t gotten a whole lot better. im mostly just super depressed, all the time. rats help. if i’d had rats earlier in life, my life would be so much better. i went through a lot of stuff freshman year, and in my life in general. cps has gotten involved, the police have gotten involved (those were both sophomore year tho) and pretty much my life is a slapstick comedy and i’m the humorous sidekick. im there for comic relief, as people watch my life and wonder what the heck i did in a past life to deserve this. im mostly joking, but seriously, life can really suck. im trying to make it until i can move out, but with the custody war over my brothers, everything is super messy. my moms been through some highs and lows, and she’s just super toxic and constantly emotionally attacks people because she thinks she’s right. my stepdad is not a good father and i don’t really like him. he’s pretty much a basic stepdad. balding, dad bod, a software developer with a side passion for scuba diving and nerd games. im not gonna say his name cause internet and all, but it’s as basic as it gets as well. he’s ok. the reason i’m on his side in all of this is that he’s trying to make things right and he’s trying to get better. my mom says she is, but she’s never changed, and i’ve given her so many chances.
sorry for the random family rant, im just super stressed about everything rn.
my brothers are amazing, fraternal twin three-year olds who are wonderful. they like me because i don’t ever get mad at them, and everyone else does, and also i give them sugary stuff and snuggles and let them jump on me. i miss them. they were here today, as part of the custody agreement, but i’m just always missing them on some level.
as for me, im apparently the kind of person little girls drool over? idk, this one girl asked me if i was some kind of rock/pop star, which is pretty fair since my hair was purple and i was wearing one of my more put together outfits. she invited me to eat her birthday cake and im pretty sure she would’ve kept talking to me, but her mom came up and went “honey, that’s not a boy” and she pretty much went “what?”
it was fun. i then got to explain to these unsuspecting innocents that i was actually not a boy or a girl. the mom was very nice and actually got it, which is good since that could’ve gone very badly. but i mean, what was i supposed to say? “i’m actually 4 raccoons in a trench coat” is a good start, but then they wait for the “real” answer and i don’t want to lie to them.
good god apparently you get my whole life story.
i never really considered getting rats since my whole life we’ve always had an ungodly amount of cats, but my stepdad likes rodents apparently and hates snakes, and he threw such a hissy fit over the snake that it didn’t make sense to go to legal war over a snake i wasn’t sure i really wanted to keep. i told him he was being a turdbucket about it, but i often end up taking the paths of least resistance. between me, my mom and my sister, we dont have a whole lot of food i can use as treats for my rats. my sister survives on sugar in various forms, my mom eats mostly healthy, and she’s my best source for nuts or vegetables or fruit since she keeps some so we can feel healthier than we actually are. i subsist on blueberries, occasionally instant oatmeal, and the microorganisms in the air, so the rats get the blueberries that aren’t up to my standards.
i gave them a dog treat (one of those crunchy bone-shaped bars) and hopefully it’ll help keep their teeth worn down. they like their foraging piñatas and it gives me endless hours of entertainment to watch them struggle to pull a whole almond out of a hole that’s much smaller.
i live in texas, and it sucks. the weather is trying to murder us, the people are trying to murder me, and i’m really not what one would consider a “texan”. i don’t wear cowboy boots or a hat, no texan accent here, and i’m certainly not about to wrestle a cactus for dominance. a lot of the people here are much more old fashioned in their views and i don’t particularly want to be hate crimed :,)
this part of texas is green and populated heavily, no tumbleweeds, deserts, or errant horses. my neighbor has longhorns in his back yard. we just have wasps. so many wasps. im terrified of them and i can’t go outside. i literally don’t go outside during the summer because there are wasps and also im super pale and thin and not built for outdoor use. (tho i was in the girl branch of boy scouts since they couldn’t give me a whole patrol all to myself just cause i’m not male or female)
im scared of wasps, the dark, people, and also literally everything. my favorite colors are black and gold, my favorite animal in general is a dragon, but at the moment it’s rats. im a poster child for “don’t try this at home, kids”
but it’s fine. im lucky. im not good at math (retaking algebra 2, but really not because i failed it, i just didn’t get credit) and i like english, and i vow that every free writing assignment my teacher makes us do, i will fit rats in it somehow. if it’s an essay on how Shakespeare’s Macbeth was all a ploy and Lady Macbeth was secretly a pile of rats all along, i might fail the assignment, but she might be humored enough to not murder me :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi i just made a cool hammock for my rats I call it the warm & cool hammock it’s made from real silk really fluffy cotton and old jean strips of fabric
Wood Shade Tints and shades Beam Ceiling

Sky Wood Cloud Grey Landscape

·
Registered
46 Posts
That’s a long story :) not quite your hole life tho . I’m more of a tomboy I have a Wako uncle that lives all over the place and sometimes doesn’t call for months on end ya and I have lots of adopted aunts like my aunt that wants us to call her cousin so she can be younger . I have had a dog once befor in my life marley was her name we have a dog now called buddy but a had a fish tadpoles worms a hamster named Josie than my sister murdered my hamster I was so mad at her for years ( still holding a grudge) my dad is bald and my moms birthday is today wooohooo I dident have rodents till years later now ! I have never had my own room until now I always had to share it with my sister here it’s always kinda chilly were i live my town doesn’t have that many kids it’s mostly retired people like 70% retired and 30 % family’s. So when it was lockdown and I was stuck inside I had a mental break down and started feeling horrified at the idea of going to high school it’s so big it’s so many people and it’s Hard :( I want to start selling hammocks for rats online that I make by hand :) the end toodles

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That’s a long story :) not quite your hole life tho . I’m more of a tomboy I have a Wako uncle that lives all over the place and sometimes doesn’t call for months on end ya and I have lots of adopted aunts like my aunt that wants us to call her cousin so she can be younger . I have had a dog once befor in my life marley was her name we have a dog now called buddy but a had a fish tadpoles worms a hamster named Josie than my sister murdered my hamster I was so mad at her for years ( still holding a grudge) my dad is bald and my moms birthday is today wooohooo I dident have rodents till years later now ! I have never had my own room until now I always had to share it with my sister here it’s always kinda chilly were i live my town doesn’t have that many kids it’s mostly retired people like 70% retired and 30 % family’s. So when it was lockdown and I was stuck inside I had a mental break down and started feeling horrified at the idea of going to high school it’s so big it’s so many people and it’s Hard :( I want to start selling hammocks for rats online that I make by hand :) the end toodles
i’d like your opinion on something
one of my pregnant rats was getting injured and i wasn’t sure who was hurting her, so i separated the females. yesterday i saw her freshly injured and went to put her by herself, but she bit me. hard. i was gushing blood from my finger, but i spent some time with her after stopping the blood flow, and she was doing okay. i thought she bit me out of fear since she hates being picked up, but today she bit me again; i’m currently typing with my left hand since my right hand is applying pressure to a napkin on my thumb. this one was definitely not out of fear and most certainly not a warning bite, it’s at least as bad as the one from yesterday. my mom was talking about feeding her to the snake, so i had a bit of an… episode last night. today she said we should feed her since she bit me twice in two days. i was crying so she was really mad, but i really don’t want to feed her. this might be from her being pregnant, and i’m not sure what to do. at this point i might keep her with minimal contact until she gives birth, and then, depending on my other rats, i might foster the babies out to the other rats and give her to a nearby rat rescue. i can’t let her near my brothers, i’m scared of her now, and i’m worried she might pass her temperament on to her offspring. i’m miserable, my moms mad, and i need to clean and socialize and spend time with my rats but also i can’t do much with my thumb like this.
what do you think i should do?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
also this is a life response, instead of aforementioned dilemma.
your hammocks look so cool and i’d totally buy one :) i’ve been getting into rat genetics and it’s fascinating. i think i want to actually breed rats when i’m older, and maybe be like an exotics vet or something. it’s totally not to avoid vet bills (it totally is)
high school isn’t really that bad. my freshman year was the worst, but my freshman year was… unique. in general, art kids are usually really nice, and if you’re just pleasant and cheerful towards everyone, you’d probably get through a lot easier than me. a lot of girls are really nice, but i avoid guys most of the time since high school guys are gross. don’t worry about relationships, that’ll come with time if it’s something you want, and never let anyone make you do something you don’t want to. high school is big and scary and hard to navigate, but you’ll get it pretty quick and it’ll be okay. the bathrooms are special and we have a weed bathroom. vaping is probably gonna be a thing, just try and stay out of it if possible. you’ll make friends and have a good time, and no matter how bad it gets, you’ll make it through this.
also my baby rats are getting their coats in, i have 6 golden/brown babies, 2 albinos, and one that’s black with white front feet. fascinating, since albino is recessive and so is black. that means she must be heterozygous for both :)
i think my brown and white hooded rat might not be the one hurting ruby since i saw her scratching at the injury site so im really not sure. i’m excited to see what the other babies look like!!
Organism Wood Bedrock Soil Rock

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mabye she was biting herself have you noticed if she moves a little funny Mabye she can’t feel her leg and like dog try to chew it off but when she bit you I don’t know there are always grumpy when pregnant but Mabye she was trying to get you not to touch her leg if she was friendly befor and künde like this than most likely it’s hormones from her pregnancy

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
52 Posts
Just on the pregnant rat biting… She may either just be on high alert from the other rats injuring her, stress (and hormones from being pregnant) can trigger fear biting. You also mention a snake and other rats. Depending on if you handled the others before handling her (especially the snake), or if her sensitive snoot can pick up the scent of the snake or rats who’ve been aggressive nearby, she might also be reacting to a general sense of danger heightened by the smell of the other critters. A rat’s sight isn’t great, so they are more likely to avoid smells that are “scary” and if they can’t avoid them (like when a human hand swoops in) they may bite. It’s probably not a “temperament” issue, more likely she’s just had a hard time of it lately and is sensitive to potentially being hurt, so she’s “protecting” herself. It’s tough to be a prey animal…

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Mabye she was biting herself have you noticed if she moves a little funny Mabye she can’t feel her leg and like dog try to chew it off but when she bit you I don’t know there are always grumpy when pregnant but Mabye she was trying to get you not to touch her leg if she was friendly befor and künde like this than most likely it’s hormones from her pregnancy
she’s injured on her shoulder/neck area and i think she might have scratched it, since i saw her scratching at the scab earlier. her fur’s been puffed up a bit and she bit my finger again today. anything she thinks is a finger gets chomped. i have three fingers out of commission and she bit my sleeve until she realized it wasn’t a finger and then she tried to get to my fingers. i’m pretty sure it’s just hormones from her being pregnant, but i’m worried that once she gives birth she’ll keep biting, since the babies need to be with her for at least five weeks and i can’t really handle a snappy rat while socializing the babies. the only plus on me giving her up would be that i might get to keep another baby since my mom is drawing the limit on how many i can keep. every time i reach in there to give her food she goes after me, and it seems like she’s actively trying to bite me. the momma rat bit me when i first got her, it was completely out of fear and she’s never tried to bite me again, it wasn’t as bad as these bites. i think the rescue might be the best place for her since they have experience with biting rats and know how to handle them. i’m also struggling to find homes for the babies and her going to the rescue would mean that she gets a home and another baby gets a home. i don’t want to give her up, but she seems to be actively trying to attack me and my mom wants her gone.

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
52 Posts
Honestly if there is a rescue with rat experience near you that’s probably the best option. They will have the ability to provide for mama rat, get around the biting issues and socialize the babies for adoption, which may be more challenging for you if you are nervous about being bitten every time you try to check on/handle the babies. Better than getting fed to a snake, for sure…

·
Registered
46 Posts
When her fur is puffed up it means she’s cold or sick Mabye she has a infection and rats hide being sick very well so Mabye when you try to pet her she doesn’t want you finding out she’s weak ?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts