Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful white rat who just recently has become more skittish around me and my mom and basically anything that moves fast or if theres a loud noise or anything else that moves quickly. I was just wondering does anyone have any suggestions for getting her out of this skittish behavior. I mean she doesn't even like to be in your arms for a long time. Whenever you try to get her out of the cage she just goes in the back of it where you can't reach her.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her out of being skittish? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: I have a beautiful white rat who just recently has becom

Can you handle her away from her cage? How long do you handle her? What's changed in her environment?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I can handle her away from her cage but she doesn't like it for too long. I handle her about 20-30 minutes per day. Nothing has changed in her environment-- except the fact that the male as his own cage. Everything is the same in the cage, the male hasn't been in the cage for about 3 months since his ear infection--- we are having problems getting him back in the cage due to the little one, she is a bully--- the white one is fine with the male.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

The male is with the females?

Has she had any contact with him recently?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The male is in his own cage-- Shes been in the playpen with him at night.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Is she gaining weight or nesting?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Shes spayed but she really hasn't gained any weight and shes not nesting.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Ah, good. Maybe she's just lonely?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Myabe I don't know. I mean I guess that could be it/

·
Registered
393 Posts

Why are the male and the female alone? Especially if the female is spayed. Why not put them together? Rats are extremely social and do best together. It might help calm her down a bit too.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

White with red/pink eyes? If so, thats a PEW (pink-eyed white) and they have terrible vision and often are more nervous as a result. they just don't see things coming and as a prey animal that is super scary.

How long have you had her? The spayed female has a little companion? Is she spayed too?

How long have you had your skittish girl and what have you tried to make her more comfortable with you?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Why are the male and the female alone? Ira the male is recovering from an really bad ear infection and surgery on his stomach.Especially if the female is spayed. Why not put them together? The other female Koi is down with the female in the bottom cage, we are trying to reintroduce the male slowly into the cage, but are having problems with the little one she is a bully. Rats are extremely social and do best together. It might help calm her down a bit too.White with red/pink eyes? Yep white with red pink/eyes. If so, thats a PEW (pink-eyed white) and they have terrible vision and often are more nervous as a result. they just don't see things coming and as a prey animal that is super scary.

How long have you had her?since the end of summer when I inherited her from my sister The spayed female has a little companion? Yes her sister Koi Is she spayed too? No we decided against spaying her-- because she is so small and the dangers of it.

How long have you had your skittish girl and what have you tried to make her more comfortable with you? I have tried talking to her and making her feel comfortable. She likes to be under blanekts and fleece, she is most comfy there. I also let her come to the door of her cage by herself--- she wants to come out she will if not she doesn't have to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts