Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting two female babies at the end of the month with my boyfriend to be our first pair of rats together, Im getting them young to be trained and I want the experience, I mentioned this to my mother and she is now begging us to take her 3 rats, Squeak is almost 4 had surgery to remove tumors the other two have really bad tumors and they are all nearing the end of their lives. I feel really terrible for not wanting to take them, I havent even asked my boyfriend yet and I was really excited about new babies. Squeak and the other 2 are social but not trained in any way and dont get out of the cage a lot. I was getting babies to help with my mental health to hopefully get one that would sit with me and want to be around me but these 3 are not really trained for that. Im incredibly torn.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Well, I would explain to your mother they're really old and will likely pass soon. If you have time for both I'd say get them and keep your babies separate from hers and just provide end of life care to them while you train yours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My boyfriend doesnt want to have 2 cages. I think we are going to take them from her though, she will pay for baby black rats (never had a real name) surgery and our hairless is doing ok they are 3 so they dont have a lot of time but my mom has 4 cats and 4 dogs so they never get to come out of their cage and squeak used to be able to free range, she said if they need to be PTS she would pay for it as well as cage updates, as well as new babies once they pass, so not sure when Ill get them as she lives an hour and a half away from me but I guess Im getting 3 rats.

edit: she is taking care of my cat so she has some leverage there as well

·
Registered
218 Posts
IMHO elderly and unwell rats are probably better living out their days together in a familar environment. If you choose to take them I would suggest your Mom also covers the costs of end of life care and euthanasia, which can be considerable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO elderly and unwell rats are probably better living out their days together in a familar environment. If you choose to take them I would suggest your Mom also covers the costs of end of life care and euthanasia, which can be considerable.
She said she would which is the only reason Im taking them

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was in a similar position a few months ago. I also took the elder rats. They are fun to watch. We aren't bonded or anything. They get excited to see me for food reasons, I think id be the same so I relate to that. Hahah I just try and give them a fun, happy home. I let them be stubborn and I don't make them do things they don't wanna. Some people disagree with how I have kept them so far (they were raised outside, so i put them in an outdoor cage a lot.) but to me they are old ladies! They should live how they want. They are like 18 months. It's heart breaking to watch them get older so fast. I think what you are doing is super nice. It may not be what you want exactly, but it's probably the best for the situation you are in.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If the cage is big enough i would introduce 2 little babies to the group, that way you get your new rats and give a good home to the oldies too. I will say though that pingy baby girls are not perhaps the best option if oyu want a rat who will sit and be cuddled. Older boys may be closer too it but even then it depends on the indidividual. Rats tend to like activtiy and freedom more than something cuddlier like a guineapig who are much calmer and more patient.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Just to add to Isamurat's comment.. If we are talking about all girl rats, you really shouldn't consider putting pups under 10 weeks old in with older females... Even tumorous old ladies will tear up little girl pups. They can't help themselves.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have managed to intro a juvenile to an elderly girl, but it wasn't particularly easy. If they are moving to a new cage and house that disruption increases your chances.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Females are my preference thats why Im going with them, only one of our females is ok with babies since the 2 others were babies when we got them with her, but Im not going to risk it with the other too, the cage bars are way too large anyway babies would get out. My boyfriend and I compromised that if I can handle these 3 (my mom is keeping them till the end of the month because baby black rat might have to be pts she has tumors so big she can barely walk) that by the end of the year I can get a second cage and the babies

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Just to add to Isamurat's comment.. If we are talking about all girl rats, you really shouldn't consider putting pups under 10 weeks old in with older females... Even tumorous old ladies will tear up little girl pups. They can't help themselves.
Its not a garuntee by any means, i've seen and done several girl intors with adult girls to babies and know a lot that do as well. I would advise if possible leaving it to around 8 weeks as babies can seriously annoy older girls which can cause tensions but very few truelly tear in and want to do damage to kittens, they just get fed up occasionally. For instance its quite regularly done to introduce calm adult girls to a litter of babies during free range once they are around 4 weeks plus, just to help the babies adjust to other adult rats being around. NOrmally babies and adults enjoy this interaction though you do ahve to watch them carefully and give the adults a place to escape too when there fed up of being swarmed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts