Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my mom is going to get me a rat and i told her they do best in pairs but she said i can only have1 and if i take care of it very well and pass her "test " i can have 2.and i hav tons of time to spend with it . so will it be a problem?

·
Registered
798 Posts
lol, i never EVER asked my parents for a pet when i was a kid, i snuck it into the house, and my dad who is very intimidating according to everyone has a very soft spot for animals, especially the cute and cuddly, so even if a slight argument broke out about the pet, it was resolved quickly enough when i was like "look dad, just pet it, aw it likes you, look at it wash its face.." you'd see him try not to look but it was inevitable, he always fell in love to... mom on the other hand never presented a problem, usually just saying "hide it from your father for a while" gotta love em eh? lol...

if i were you i would print up some info about rats and have your mom read it, she may be thinking that you telling her that rats are happier in pairs or more to be your way of acquiring more rats than you can handle, i'm sure that after reading that they ACTUALLY are happier in pairs she'll cave in.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Maybe it would show more responsibility to tell your mom 'Alright, that's fine but you want me to show more responsibility towards my rat so I'll start right here. I'll wait until you let me have a pair as rats only do well in pairs' And then show her info on that.

Some rats can become desperately depressed when kept as a single pet, no matter how much time you give them. They are even known to have destructive habits such as barbering or self mutilation if kept alone. While sometimes that doesn't happen until many months after the rat has been kept it still is a big possibility.

My advice, tell her something along the lines of what I said above and wait. Hopefully that will show her you are responsible enough to have a rat as they only do best in pairs.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Perhaps you can even suggest she become a member of this forum. Encourage her to do some research as well! I think that would show a level of responsibility that might get her to cave!

Anyhoo........... good luck, and I hope you get your pair of ratties!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Lol, i agree with mopydream44 or atleast let her log on as your user and show her some of the posts that you've written and the replies you've gotten so on and so forth, there are always ways to manipulate, you just have to become a little more sly,... think like a rat... or atleast my rat... sly... cunning... and always... Hungry. Well nevermind the last part but you get the idea :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts