Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female rat who is 1 yrs old, and she just tears fabric apart including hammocks. I put up a lot of hammocks this weekend and by the end of the day she just had them teared down I even tried the ferret hammocks from Petco she just chewed down the the strings holding the hammock up. She doesn't have any interest in sticks or the blocks. I have tried everything and am at my wits end--- any suggestions as to what I can do. I think she is bored and that is why she is chewing everything and tearing things down. Help!!!

Also I have been looking for dog biscuits that the rats will like. What kind do you get your rats and what brand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
sounds like you have a single rat & that is the problem

rats require other rats around, they weren't meant to be on their own

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]Rats like to chew so chances are your rat is gonna chew no matter what. It's just something you gotta get used to. Not all rats are chewers but most are.[/align]

·
Registered
500 Posts
A1APassion said:
sounds like you have a single rat & that is the problem

rats require other rats around, they weren't meant to be on their own
I second that. Sounds like destructive behavior, rather than simply chewing. Since you can't be with her 24/7-since nobody could do that-she needs a cage mate.

You said you think she is bored, and you're right. How big is her cage, by the way?

·
Registered
722 Posts
When I first got Jay & Bob, I had a reallllllly small cage for the first month or so, and they would get really destructive (since they were in such a small space). They would tear up every hammock I bought... not a pretty sight.

But a month after I got them, I got a good size cage for my birthday (big enough to hold 4 rats). When I tried the hammock thing again in the new cage, they didn't chew them at all. Of course, I'm still afraid of either buying hammocks or spending a lot of time making them and having the girls end up chewing them... so now I just use old towels or pieces of fleece :wink:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Our females, we have 3 (had two more previously), and they all destroy anything fabric or fabric like.

It is a female thing. Trust me.

The males never do it, ever. They may try to yank on things but they aren't obsessive about chewing holes. There is sometimes when they may damage something in the process of trying to yank on it, but that is it. I have noticed that the males will only act this way to get attention (tugging on your sleeve while typing, or pulling a wire down, just to let you know "hey! I'm here, remember me?"), but the females have no mercy.

I am not sure what you can do.

Here is what we do... we get a sheet from the thrift store, and then use that as the top layer of our couch protection system (patent pending!), and we take duct tape and tape up the holes from behind as they make them. When the sheet becomes more tape than fabric, it's time for a new thrift sheet.

We have tried positive and negative reenforcement, but nothing works. We have bribed them with treats, we have punished them with a water spray, a loud NO!, and nothing.

The ONLY thing that keeps them from chewing is to occupy their time the ENTIRE time. The second you turn your head they are through the sheet and working on the next layer. The floor goers, they will climb anywhere and chew anything regardless of price. LTNG destroyed the woofers of my studio monitors (expensive speakers) on my desk when I wasn't home) Out of all the rats we have had, only the females do this... they don't yank stuff, they chew it. Males yank things out of place, but don't destroy every piece of fabric within range.

You can try to give them an old towel to play with when you have them out... sometimes they will chew that instead... we have used the same towel for the entire time and it looks like moths have made it their dinner for the past couple years. This is one of the reason we are phasing out our females. I work, and my wife does a lot of the female out-time, and there is just no way to sit there with them for the entire time when there are other chores to be done. The males... you can do basic rat proofing and let them do their thing (that is, if they are trusted not to poop, you can even let them roam the floor)... they usually end up falling asleep under the towel after it is over.

The females are unstoppable, and not only that, but they teach each new rat the tricks of the trade... so if you have one extreme chewing machine, and you get a new rat, chances are you will have two shredders on your hands. The younger the new one is, the more likely they will pick up the habits of the others.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two other rats one is her cagemate another girl--- the other one a male we have tried to reintroduce him to the little one but she is such a bully. Does anyone know how to reintroduce the rats. The other female doesn't chew through the blankets. She is more relaxed, and is more like the motherly type.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Martins cages

Its either the rat highrise or rat tower or rat skyscraper.

What about the dog bones-- does anyone know what brands I could get and what flavor?

Also I will be traveling with my rats does anyone know a travel cage I can get for them?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Its a personality issue, some chew, some don't. I think girls being a little more high-energy all their lives have more of a tendency to. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the little one is high energy. The question is what can we put in her cage that can stop her being bored. The baskets she doesn't chew, but the fabric she does.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
In my experience with all my munchkins, you cannot train them not to chew things. Its like fingernail chewing, all of a sudden you just found out you have nubbins again, without even consciously thinking of it. :roll:

Find out what she likes to chew and give that to her...parrot toys are a fav...they are considered tasty :)

Edited because I cannot spell today. :oops:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Meliss said:
I have two other rats one is her cagemate another girl--- the other one a male we have tried to reintroduce him to the little one but she is such a bully. Does anyone know how to reintroduce the rats. The other female doesn't chew through the blankets. She is more relaxed, and is more like the motherly type.
You cannot put the girls with the boys because if you do they will breed

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of them except the little one is either nuetered or spayed. We don't have the money to get her spayed

·
Registered
393 Posts
Meliss said:
Martins cages

Its either the rat highrise or rat tower or rat skyscraper.

What about the dog bones-- does anyone know what brands I could get and what flavor?

Also I will be traveling with my rats does anyone know a travel cage I can get for them?
Just to pop in here, skip the Highrise. It looks big on the site but it's actually too small to house any rats. The Tower is okay other than having steep ramps (not that great for older rats). The Skyscraper is great and that's the one I owned personally for my four females.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have one similar to the skyscraper for males... females don't need as much space.

3 females can live in a double decker 24"x12", but 3 males need much more space. If you have a combo 2 females and a male, I would get something double deck 36" wide and at least 12" deep.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thats my big cage where my girls are the male is in a smalleer cage-- because we can't get the little one and male to get along--- plus sometimes we put the other girl in the his cage

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is a good cage, it should comfortably hold 3 females or two females and a male. I am not sure it is territorial, unless that igloo is the only sleeping spot.

Do you know what they fight over? I don't know if you can tell... I can sometimes tell what mine fight over, sometimes not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
my girls CHEW any fabric! even the old ball caps they love to sleep under. the cover sheet I put over there cage when it's cold gets pulled in the cage and chewed... hammock... forget about it. My girls get old ball caps and towels and they love cuddling up in them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't really tell what they fight over--- I think for the little one--- when we put the male in it is territorial because when the male was in there he was the dominant one--- now since he is not in there she is the dominant one and the other one just takes it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it my be a stress issue. i would highly recommend a freind. female of course. or mabey you should clip the points just the tips. But the frist one would be A lot better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts