Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel wire cages that ventilate are good cages. I worked with some wire mesh (hardware cloth) to create my large wire cage. Im gonna need another cage so i have thought up some simple ideas that are easy to do.

MATERIALS NEEDED.> 1 roll of 3tallx10foot long wire mesh (hardware cloth) 4 3ft tall peices of wood...You also will need 8 peices of wood that are 2ft long. (all the wood u buy needs to be 2inches x 2inches wide.)
some nails industry sized staple gun and staples.

U now need to start building the frame. The frame it going to be the shape of the cage (rectangular) heres the pic of what u build for the frame. (use nails)

Now cut out 3 2ftby 3ft rectangles out of hardware cloth(sides. also cut out 1 2ftby 2ft sqaure for the (roof). (cut these a bit smaller then than the frame so itll fit nicely)

Heres What it should look like.

Enjoy the cage idea.... many ppl use this process to make decent cages. I used alumminum to make the pan for the floor tohold the bedding but u can always just use wood and litter train the rats to a litter box. -Josh

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Um... I don't see any pictures... :?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That does look simple! I wouldn't want any wood in a rat cage though.. I don't know how well it can be coated and sealed, and how long that would stand up to rat pee. But make sure you use the green coated hardware cloth, since the galvanized will start to get icky and smelly.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is now ready with pictures please comment my thread and feel free to show ur cage ideas. I opened this for ppl to get diy cage examples! -Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts