Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to the pet store tonight to pick up so yogies for my girls when I saw this one black and white hooded(like my fiona) who was ginormous. he looked so sweet but he looked so sad. (don't ask how i know this I just have a way with animals where i felt drawn to ones that need love) gosh that sounds lame. but anyways. The people know me as "the rat girl" in there because i got my 2 girls from there because the nearest breeder/rescue is 6 hours away. Well tonight I have never witnessed such a sight. I know how strongly people feel about pet shop animals on here but at this pet shop i never witnessed any neglect. Tonight I was furious. The one hooded rat had thin hair and I met you could see his skin showing through almost to the point of bald patches. His cagemate hadabout an inch by inch gash on his side that was open. and the hooded had proephrin all around his little eyes. I was so mad. I was really careful with them petting them both, and it was obvious they got no human contact what so ever and it was obvious they were not a good match for eachother. At first when I petted the hooded boy he squeeked but soon warmed up to me one i let him sniff around me and i gave him a yogie. I have never seen a rat brux so much in my life. I guess I'm so used to seeing happy animals it was a huge shock. I mean fiona actually looks like she smiles! and lola is still young but is so much more socialble. Fiona comes to the door of her cage if she just hears my voice! and what really got to me was when i told the lady her exact words were "Oh they're very agressive over females thats why we had to move her. They fight all the time theres nothing we can do." Instead of putting the boys in seperate cages they put her in a cage by herself instead of one with the other females they put her in a cage by herself . Why would they put both sexes together anyway? I don't understand how they could keep them together while in that shape. I seriously am sick to my stomach about it. I have been thinking of opening a rescue from my home for awhile now and now it's settled. My boyfriend who will be 18 next month(i'll be 16 in january) told me that when he gets his house I can keep them there. I know what you're thinking *gasp* 16 thats too young! But I have researched rats and rat care since I first got Fiona and I would get a job where 100% of earnings will go to the rats care. And if they were at my boyfriends they would get PLENTY of socialization from both of us. (My boyfriend loves my ratties, and is just as educated =]) But I wouldnt be starting anything until probably next year. I've thought about it and I probably would only have 10 at the most rats at a time. That way we wouldn't be over run. I am just so ready to make a change with this. I am mad that these peoples dogs are kept up so well and sold for 1000 dollars even though they're from a puppy mill and not even show registered while their other animals are suffering. Tonight I'm making shirts to support pet rescues and pet rats. This has opened my eyes so much and I will never purchase pet store animals again. Unless injured.

·
Registered
166 Posts
:cry: :cry: :cry: ....... *Sniff* I'm glade you'll get a job to finance your rescue! What will you call it? Oh and don't forget to make a QT room FAR away from rats you've already rescued when you get this underway! Good luck and best wish to you and your BF! ^.^

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks oh yeah i have taken that all into consideration. I have no clue yet! i should get on that! lol and the best thing about thinking about all of this is i'm really narrowing down my major to zoology. At first I was thinking about a minor in zoology and a major in psychology and then later going to school for ethology(like animal psychology). But now i'm really looking into zoology. Then i'll be twice as educated. =]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is how I got my latest rat Stone. He was in petsmart, and they treat their rats relatively well, but Stone always looked depressed... I asked to hold him, and he was so gentle, a gentle giant. He moves so very slowly, carefully, and I could tell the second I held him that I needed this rat.

He has integrated well with his new mates at home... he is starting to get excited for things like morning veggies, and starting to vie for attention when you open the cage door. Still moves so slow, but I figure that is just who he is. When you put him in your lap, he finds a comfortable spot, spreads out to relax, bruxes and boggles and then falls asleep.

This rat seems, literally, grateful, that I got him... it's strange.

Once they know they are not going back to wherever you got them from, they begin to appreciate where they are.

·
Registered
327 Posts
yashu said:
This is how I got my latest rat Stone. He was in petsmart, and they treat their rats relatively well, but Stone always looked depressed... I asked to hold him, and he was so gentle, a gentle giant. He moves so very slowly, carefully, and I could tell the second I held him that I needed this rat.

He has integrated well with his new mates at home... he is starting to get excited for things like morning veggies, and starting to vie for attention when you open the cage door. Still moves so slow, but I figure that is just who he is. When you put him in your lap, he finds a comfortable spot, spreads out to relax, bruxes and boggles and then falls asleep.

This rat seems, literally, grateful, that I got him... it's strange.

Once they know they are not going back to wherever you got them from, they begin to appreciate where they are.

Thats heartwarming,.... I got huni pretty much the same way, a local independant pet shop and she was the last one no one would buy, she had a gammy eye, its always got porphyrin around it and need cleaning daily [but in good health otherwise] and was the runt of the litter, the pet shop owner said he might have to have her euthinased [sp?] as he was due his next batch of ratties and no one would choose her over the shiney new babies, so just had to have her!... And shes an absolute GEM.. someone elses loss is my gain :D :D :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah I always end up with the rat nobody wants. Every one except for 2 of mine have been ones that either were alone at the pet store, or never bought for a couple months. My 3 males, one was living alone, and the others sat there in the cages for months while the smaller "cuter" ones were bought. Good thing for me I think the big ones are cute... and how anyone would pass up Stone, I will never know, but I always saw him lying on his back in the cage for months before I got him, while other rats came and gone. Tiny was the same way... this was my rule for each: If they are still there in a month, I am going to get him... hehe... Camel was bought to be Tiny's friend, and he was all alone... hairless dumbo, maybe people didn't like how he looked?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always love the animals no one else wants. Lola was in a cage with a bunch of rats. and some how i felt drawn to her. weird how they kind of call you

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
taralyncouture said:
I always love the animals no one else wants. Lola was in a cage with a bunch of rats. and some how i felt drawn to her. weird how they kind of call you
I have to physically ban myself from the pet-shop I used to frequent. I have to give my poor mum a shopping list and my bank card to get it all for me! Every time I go in, I find some poor little lonely soul that sits there and begs to be taken home (I have had so many problems with this pet shop it's unbelievable!) and it breaks my heart to leave! I've left in tears before because I have had to drag myself away with the "I've got too many...I CAN'T get another!" mantra. I hate being realistic - if I could take all the down-hearted ones I see, I'd have no room for me left in my house! Does that make me soppy? Lol

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
no, that makes you a rat lover. i'm the same way. i feel terrible for leaving them behind and even worse when i recognize one still being there. then i get thinking about them there in the store and more often then not i go back for them. its part of the reason i'm at 11 now.... its those faces...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats how i feel! i mean right now i can only see Fiona and Lola on the weekends while i'm in school. They're at my moms who loves them. and I wanted to make sure they got enough attention while i was in school becauase it wouldnt be fair for them. And I saw those two boys yesterday and wanted to take them home but i knew i couldnt since i already have two who arent getting enough mommy time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
taralyncouture said:
I have been thinking of opening a rescue from my home for awhile now and now it's settled.
.... cut out for length...

I am mad that these peoples dogs are kept up so well and sold for 1000 dollars even though they're from a puppy mill and not even show registered while their other animals are suffering. Tonight I'm making shirts to support pet rescues and pet rats. This has opened my eyes so much and I will never purchase pet store animals again. Unless injured.
I wish you luck on your venture, but I have one question: Are you going to get your 'rescues' from pet stores? Thats kinda what it sounds like. As horrible as this does sound, you really can't save them all. Not to mention theyll buy more rats the second you take them home

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No not all. But i mean the ones with injuries i may. I mean this little guy had a GASH i mean not a little place but an open wound! but i will get them from the spca there are some males there. I was going to get my rat a friend from there but they were all males.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heh I support your rescue completely. I was gonna send a message on myspace telling you that. But it failed, can't send no messages.

Good luck though ^.^

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm sorry you had to see that. I - of course - think running a rescue is a great idea, if you have the money, space and time to do it. If you have any questions or anything during the planning stage, let me know.

Oh and don't forget to make a QT room FAR away from rats you've already rescued when you get this underway!
Actually, if you run a rescue, you ALWAYS need to QT in a separate airspace. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts