Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is old now....3.5 years to be exact. She has lost use of both her front and back legs now and can no longer chew. She sorta just flops around and tries to move where she can but fails. I have to feed her baby food throughout the day and give her water through a dropper. My question is, what could be causing this? Should I put her down or let her go here at home? She was doing bad before and improved tremendously when I took her with me on vacation....now that we are back home her condition continues to get worse. The vet I take her to says euthenasia done by her is with an injection to the heart. That seems horrible :/ any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Only u can decide if it is time to put her down or not.

If it were me though, yes I would let her go. IMO it is about quality of life, and it doesn't sound like she is doing well.

I am very sorry :( I know how hard it is.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm sorry for what you're going through right now, but know that 3 and a half years is an exceptionally long and full life for a rat. I'm sure she had a good one.

If this were my rat, I would call it. Ask your vet for more information. Heart sticks are fine, but ONLY if the rat is gassed first so that they are completely unconscious during the stick. The gas will let them drift off into a deep sleep so that the stick isn't felt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts