Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm pretty new here, and I might have looked over it but I need a little help.
So I got my rat about 4 days ago (getting him a buddy and a HUGE cage this weekend) and I think things are going pretty well. But he's not to fond of me. He knows I am the giver of broken cheerios but as soon as he grabs it he immediately runs to his cubby hole or goes into his hammock.
Is there a way I could make him calm down around me? Like a way to make him more comfortable? And he sneezes ALOT and makes a noise like he's trying to clean his nose like he's blowing out of it. Or is that normal? I'm just worried is all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
4 days is a short time. We've had our two for almost a month and they have only really got totally comfortable with us in the last week or so. Give it time! As for the sneezing, it could just be new home sneezes, or sometimes the bedding you use. Keep an eye on him and watch how much he's eating/drinking etc. One of ours sneezed A LOT when we first brought them home and started to make a noise almost like a clucking chicken. I took him to the vet because of this and they have him antibiotics. He does still sneeze now but not nearly as much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks I sorta figured It was pretty soon I was holding him just a second ago and he ran down my leg onto the floor (his first time free) and took me a while but I caught him and got him in the cage. Now he's shaking the cage wanting out >_<

·
Registered
383 Posts
Rats can get bored easily, so once they discover the wide world of living room, they are eager to get out of the cage eventually. But the cage is a safe space, so it's common for them to really want to return. One of my rats would leap from my arms to the cage if I was close enough. One time she missed.

I found that rats warmed up to me more quickly when they were allowed to come to me on their terms. I walled off a part of the bathroom and sat on the floor with my rats. They would explore the walls and realize there was nothing there. But hey, this big goofy guy seems interesting. And he has Cheerios!

If they can explore on their own, then they develop confidence a little faster, I think. But of course, holding them frequently helps as it reinforces that bad things don't happen when they're taken out of the cage. One of my rats really didn't like being picked up. Fear poo was common, and she wanted back in the cage. If I stood near the cage and let her climb on my shoulder of her own volition, she didn't poop. Now she is just as happy as the other rats at being picked up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am a real fan of Immersion. Check out the immersion thread sticky. Make sure you understand the difference between "Extreme Immersion" which is not what you need and regular Immersion which is the one for you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Get sneezing checked by a vet that knows rats, rat are very susceptible to upper respiratory problems, I am told by my vet they are born with it. sometimes it comes out and need to be treated, other rats are never bothered by it. I have 3 rats, the older guy sneezes and clucks like a chicken, yet the vet said he was fine, lungs healthy.
Its a big adjustment, for the rat. New home, cage, people, his hammock/cubby hole is where he feels safe. Its a big scary new world. Keep treating him with different treats, Take him out. onto your lap or couch, or a rat proof room,(bathroom) keep talking to him. If you get another cage mate,,,good for you,,,they need buddies,,keep me up to date,,all the best

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check out the immersion sticky as soon as I'm home (I'm at work now) I saw it yesterday I just wasn't to sure what it was. But right now I have bigger fish to fry! Turns out I signed a paper when I rented the house and it says I wouldn't have any pets! :( I'm going to attempt to guilt trip the landlords into letting me keep them though. So far they said I was the best tenant they've had there by far so they might be a little leinant about them. But I'll let tall know how it goes in the morning. Wish me luck! :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've never been in that situation, but I wonder if you could claim that cats and dogs are typically the type of pets that you understood landlords to be opposed to. Cage/tank animals are different so you think this would be okay. They don't have to know that rats can wander around. But in any case, don't push the matter. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well landlord is TOTALLY cool with it lol. They actually want to come over and see him. They said he was cute and that it wouldn't be a problem at all :) on top of that the cage came in right as I was leaving for work! So I can't wait to get home and start to assemble it just to watch scavvers go crazy inside of it. Plus I'm going to my grandmother's and she's gonna help me sew some hammocks and little blankets for him. Fleece is what I should use as the flooring correct? Or what's good for that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts