Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited! I haven't really ever tried to teach my rats anything, except their names and to use the litter boxes. Today during play time, I had some sunflower seeds that I was handing out, which they love. (Until Bella found the pizza crust I carelessly left on the table next to the bed... 6 rats + 1 pizza crust = an hour of entertainment!) After the chaos over the pizza died down, Jellybean came back for more sunflower seeds. Usually when I give her treats, I hold them up kinda high, because she tends to be very grabby and has bitten down on my fingers instead of the treats. So I was doing that and kinda idly thought that it would be cute if I taught her to beg for treats, like people teach dogs sometimes. I'd hold up a sunflower seed, and say "Up!" and she'd stand up and get the seed. After a few times I would say up without holding the seed over her head - and she stood up! So I did it some more, giving her seeds after every "up" she did. She also got lots of praise and skritches ^_^ It's a very simple trick, I know, but I'm still happy she learned it! It makes me want to teach all of my rats tricks ^_^ *imagines a little rattie circus*

(On a side note - there's a Coconut on my head :lol: ....and Magic just climbed up to my shoulder, crawled down my arm to the keyboard, and ran behind the monitor with the last bit of crust. Jellybean is laying in the windowsill, bruxing and boggling. Oh how I love my rats :D)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Awww...

At some point I taught Acid a fairly complicated series of tricks.

I'd be laying back on a pillow with my legs halfway pulled up and I'd set her on one foot and say 'climb' and she'd go up to my knee. There, I'd say 'jump' and she'd jump to my other knee, and after that I told her 'slide' and she'd crawl down my leg to my tummy and then I say 'shoulder' and she'd climb to my shoulder where she received treats and rubs and praise.

Rats are so smart, it STILL amazes me, after years of being with rats. xD

My three are piled into the wheel and I think one if them wants to run because she's causing a fuss and trying to get the wheel to move. lol!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.