Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I finally squeezed the last juice out of my mom on why she doesn't like rats, and she listed 3 things-

-Indoor pets
-Eye's are larger than hamsters
-Their long tail

I will, of course, take care of problem number one by myself, but what do you suggest I do to convince her that their eyes are adorable, and that their tails aren't disgusting?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've never heard of people not likeningthe eyes as long as they're black( I'm fine with any color)Dwarfs have proportionaportionatly big eyes .As for the tail maybe she should see a Manx( I know you said you don't want manxs and I'm not saying you should), I was neutral about the appearance of the tail until I saw a Manx now I love the tails.One of my friends didn't like the tails until I told him that they use them for balance,etc.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What doesn't she like about the tails? Does she think they're scaley and dry? Maybe she doesn't know their tails are soft and have hair covering them. Maybe she'd like a darker colored rat that has a dark tail. The eye thing is kinda weird though... If you showed her pictures she'd see that a grown up rat has small eyes compared to the big goggles on a hamster. Show her a full grown rat, like a big boy rat. Their eyes are much smaller than those of a hamster.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Weird, I hear alot of people have issues with tails but never the eyes. I find rats with big beady eyes adorable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What doesn't she like about the tails? Does she think they're scaley and dry? Maybe she doesn't know their tails are soft and have hair covering them. Maybe she'd like a darker colored rat that has a dark tail. The eye thing is kinda weird though... If you showed her pictures she'd see that a grown up rat has small eyes compared to the big goggles on a hamster. Show her a full grown rat, like a big boy rat. Their eyes are much smaller than those of a hamster.
They're long, they have hair covering them but not completly covering them, the fact that they're tail that don't *look* soft or cute (in her opinion).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Has she touched a rat's tail?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My mom used to be creeped out with the red eyes and "gross" tail. For the first problem me and my sister got rats with black eyes. The second problem only went away after a while of us already owning rats. I guess my situation is different because we had a deal where if I stopped biting my nails, she would get us rats, and she had to keep her end of the deal, but the tail thing might only go away with time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love my boys to absolute bits, and their hands I think are so so adorable. But I think their feet (back paws if that sounds less contradictory) are super gross haha! I dislike human feet and apart from the claws obviously I think they look really similar and they freak me out when I see them.

When I picked them up when they were babies I was so happy, they were my first rats and I don't know why but I'd never thought about their feet bothering me, and I was so blinded by their cute faces. But later when I saw their feet and I was like 'oh God they're so gross! They're like tiny hobbit feet!' My mum (who drove me across the country to get them) was laughing hysterically because I was so grossed out haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm working on a project that I like to call "Operation: Convince Mom for Rats" :D

It's a word document/presentation, and I can't wait to be finished! I'll try to get it to my google documents so I can share it with you guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts