Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though he's pricey because of what organization he is apart of I love my vet. It was 8:30 when he called me back. I was upset that I had missed talking to him and we kept missing each other (I don't have a cell phone and I haven't been able to call during work).

The place closes at 7, I thought I missed calling him back again but he called me after hours to talk to me about what was going on! We talked for a long time and I bet I'm very overwhelming to him about the problems I list off and my ramblings and worries but he takes it in stride and is getting used to the way I talk. I got an appointment with him again in a couple of weeks for Gidgett's follow up and an aspiration on Bastian and possibly Hobbes. He really didn't seem to worried about Hobbes and thinks it sounds like a sebatious cyst which isn't usually a problem but I want to bring him in anyway. Bastian's seems like an abscess. Again, keeping an eye on him and if it gets worse I will get him in sooner (we have only one car so Saturdays are the only good days for me and he doesn't work this Sat)

He also complimented me on being one of his best read clients!

But it was so nice for him to call me up so long after hours to check up on me!

What great things do your ratty vets do?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hurray for good vets! :)

I haven't had to visit a vet with our girls, yet *knocks very loudly on wood*, though our eldest is almost two, so I'm preparing myself for the day. The vet I will use is one that a very good friend of mine recommends (she goes to him with her boys). She says he is allergic to every animal possible and has to have shots all the time for his allergies, but he still keeps working with them because he loves animals so much. He has to be a good guy, right? :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
He sounds like a good guy indeed :)

My vet only charged me for one rattie check up when i brought the boys in. I paid 35$ for both of them to get a check up!

I didn't have the most positive experience with ONE vet tech via the phone but there is a super awesome vet tech who was patient even when I asked all my questions twice. I have a horrible habit of doing that to make sure I didn't misunderstand anything.

The downside of my vet is he doesn't give out meds unless there IS a problem. I understand his point about it (basically the same reason HUMAN vets are trying to limit antibiotics) but I still worry a bit!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Poppyseed said:
wow donna! You are very lucky. I'm probably in the vets office at LEAST once a month O_O
Yes, I'm pretty sure we have been very fortunate.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
well healthy ratties isn't just about luck you know, so you must be doing something right ;)
hehe, I hope so! They seem happy enough. :) I'm such a worry wort, as well, so if I thought there was the slightest thing wrong I'd be at the vet's office.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I went to a vet at my trusted Vet office. But this guy was new to me and he was terrible. He said my rat had a bloody nose(it was porforin(sp?) and it was because he stressed her out.

So i went to a different one after researching. I LOVED HER. Shes so sweet, so easy to talk to, and LOVES the animals. She loved victoria and victoria adored her back.
She gave me homeopathic meds nad charged me for meds and didnt charge for hte visit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like DonnaK I don't really have to visit the vet often. I had one rat for 2 and a half years, and I only ever had to take him to the vet three times in his whole life!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm lucky and haven't had to visit the vet with my rat much either. I did take her once when my mom took her rabbit in, and he told me he would give me some medicine for Betty for myco flair ups without even needing to come in for a checkup! I've had his help in the past for many other small critters, including rats, so I know when Betty starts needing some extra care (or a spay) I'll take her to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts