Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been several months since I had to give my rats away, but I'm still not over it. I miss them so much, and I'm depressed and just feel kind of empty inside. Sometimes if I think about it too much I actually cry.

I just feel kind of... alone in this. The apartment where I live doesn't allow pets other than dogs or cats (even though they originally told us they did, which is why I brought the rats when we moved in), but my roommate keeps a snake hidden, but he says rats would be too much to hide. I wanted to try anyway, but said if I try to hide a rat here he will leave me.

I know it's a bad idea, and I know it's illogical to think I could get away with it, but for him to say that to me really hurt. This apartment is all we've got, and I shouldn't risk it, but he would rather definitely kick me out than risk the landlord finding a rat in our apartment (if that happened, they would most likely fine us, but he seems to think they would immediately kick us out with no warning), and that is not okay with me.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If your job can support you, I would move and get your rats back. I live alone and am not receptive to the ultimatums of others. I would tell him to shove off.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Your roommate has a point, but he's also being a hypocrite for keeping a snake "illegally" while telling you that you can't try the same with a rat. I've hidden many animals in absolutely zero pet apartments. As long as they don't have someone coming into your apartment to inspect it when you're not there (which they can't do anyway) then the possibility of them finding out is slim unless someone rats on you (pardon the pun). I would do as dustyrat said and attempt to find new housing. If you need a roommate, look for people with available rooms (as long as you aren't breaking a lease by leaving, trust me you don't want to get started on that path). I've always found that explaining my situation thoroughly to people tends to find me in a better spot than trying to hide things. My husband and I are currently trying to move across the country with two large dogs (one of which is a pitbull, plus a cat, rats and reptiles) and it has been nearly impossible to find housing due to size and breed restrictions. My husband made a post explaining our situation and someone with a house on a large property contacted us and we're making a deal to help fix the house while we live there. Obviously things like that don't work out for everyone, but I think if you look for a nice pet friendly roommate you'd get along much better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is we signed a one-year contract with this apartment. We've all agreed that when the year is up we will find new housing that allows for pets of any species, but in the meantime we're stuck here in this crap-hole. (The pet issue isn't even the only thing wrong with this apartment. It looked nice at first, but the longer we live here the more we realize that no one cares about it. Things are left broken/run-down, people throw trash everywhere and don't bother picking it up, etc.)

In his defense, his logic for keeping the snake hidden is that snakes don't make noise, and we're keeping her in a dresser drawer, so even if there was an inspection, no one would ever find her unless they knew to look there. Rats, he reasons, would squeak and scamper around, and the noise would attract attention. There have been a few occasions in which we've come home and seen stuff out of its place, like someone had been snooping in our apartment without us there. :I

·
Registered
62 Posts
My fiance had to leave an apartment because he couldn't get along with his brother. (who he was living with at the time) When he moved out neither of our parents would agree to take care of our rats (i was younger and was living with my parents) and we had the good luck to have a friend who took care of them for a few months while we found a place that would allow them. That was hard, and before we found the friend I was freaking out about the possibility of having the let go of them. I will always appreciate him for doing us that HUGE favor.
I guess I would say that knowing how it feels to have to consider rehoming a beloved pet....I try not to back myself into that corner again. People can be unpredictable in their response to rats. When viewed through a practical lens, they are a quiet, low impact pet. When viewed through the lens of someone that has a pathological fear of them, they are vile horrible vermin.
recently we looked for apartments in our new city, all the while trying to be VERY clear about our intentions of taking in three rats and we got mixed responses from landlords. One landlord told us we could only have one and acted nervous about it. (not gonna happen. it was a shame because it was a nice apartment) but most were okay about it. You shouldn't have too much trouble when you look for a new apartment. I like to ease them in with the term "caged animals" and only go into the specifics if they ask me to.
I also like dustyrat's response. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

However, can't you break the lease if the Landlord is not meeting up to their obligations such as fixing items that are broken?
I'd also put cameras up if you feel like someone is entering your house. But yeah, if your lease is almost over then maybe waiting it out might be best. D:

That's creepy, I wouldn't feel safe at all. ;__;

I'd also not recommend speaking/living with your roommate anymore if that's what they said to you.. They sound like a jerk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there's recently been an incident. Our apartment was broken into one day, and then a few days later the gas was siphoned from my roommate's vehicle, and we've been finding evidence of drug abuse in the neighborhood. We are definitely breaking the lease and looking for a house to rent or buy, and as soon as we're out of here, I'm getting some rats and never letting go of them again.

My roommate's not a terrible person. Yes, he can tend to be a jerk sometimes without thinking, because he's under a lot of stress that he keeps bottled up most of the time. It's not that he doesn't care about my pets (he was the one who got them for me as a gift, and he loved them too), but he's the kind of person who prefers to use cold-hard logic instead of emotion to govern his decisions. He eventually ended up giving away his own pet snake because we couldn't keep hiding her in the drawer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts