Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gypsy cut her tail about 2 weeks ago... possibly down to the bone.

Her tail is nice and pink for about 2 inches, then it is one big scab all the way around for an inch or so then back to normal tail near the tip.

I have her on pain medication and antibiotics but it doesn't seem to be healing.

The Vets around here charge $9 for an examination and I have been to 3 and they all say the same thing.... they will not under any circumstance perform a tail amputation. I called 3 other vets in Des Moines and they all said no as well.

They said that it is VERY traumatic to the rat not to mention they have to put them out to do it and they are very fragile.

The 3rd one suggested having her PTS o_O? What a jerk, I have lost enough rats in the last year and Gypsy isn't going anywhere.

Sooo if the tail removal is out, WTF do I do? She is such a sweet girl and soo affectionate even now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I panic from time to time....I am a worrisome rat parent I guess lol:)

Basically I am looking for any salves, gels, creams, ointments, that would promote healing and would be rat safe if they ingest it? Any home remedies or treatments to help with the healing would also be cool.

I washed her tail in warm soapy water today and it made a difference and she was more energetic later on this evening.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Manuka honey is a good natural antimicrobial treatment. I used it on a fight wound my boy had and by morning it had knitted up. Vet commented how well the wound had knitted together and said the manuka honey would have played a big part in helping.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dont use soap. Use sailine. Mix 1/4 teaspoon sea salt in 8oz of warm water. Coffee mug works great for this. Soak the tail 3 times a day. Pat it dry. Keep her on clean bedding like fleece changed daily. I think I told you this before? Can we get a picture of the scab? Shakespeare finally lost the scab on his tail. It took 3 months to heal completely but a month for the scab to shrivel up and harden. Another month for the piece of degloved tail to fall off and finally the last bit to heal. It just takes time. Again dont have her on pain meds for more than 3 days.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If the bit beyond the injury is healthy looking with good blood flow and feeling then she wont need an amputation. Manuka honey is a good one as it encourages licking as well as natural antibiotic. I use dermagel here which is a pretty amazing cream which really accelerates healing, not sure if its avaialble outside the UK. Purple spray or Blue Cote are both good topical antibiotics sold for horses and larger animals which are well worth having on hand too (though they do dye the rats somewhat lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts