Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Madam Squeakster and Señorita Squeaks
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rats has lost weight. I have noticed that she is extra skinny recently. As a result of this weight loos she can now fit though the bars of her cage. I don’t have time/money to take her to the vet or put up the mesh wiring. I can’t keep chasing her down constantly after her escaping and I’m also worried about her weight losss. What do I do.
P.S. I give them plenty of food and let them eat when they hungry so the only way I could adjust their food is by feed them less often.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going to give them extra food so even if they pick and choose what they eat at least it is something. Please respond quickly I’m afraid to even leave my room in case she escapes because I saw she was chewing a wire(not plugged in thank goodness)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it really need to I can probably convince my parents to take me and Madam Squeakster to the vet and pay her back when I have the money but I currently only have $12

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
oh dear, if she's so thin she can squeeze between the bars, the you have to find a way to secure the cage. They love to explore and will get out if they can. Close your door so she stays in one room for now. Or do you have a carrier she can go in for now?

·
Registered
47 Posts
One of my rats has lost weight. I have noticed that she is extra skinny recently. As a result of this weight loos she can now fit though the bars of her cage. I don’t have time/money to take her to the vet or put up the mesh wiring. I can’t keep chasing her down constantly after her escaping and I’m also worried about her weight losss. What do I do.
P.S. I give them plenty of food and let them eat when they hungry so the only way I could adjust their food is by feed them less often.
Wow! She’s thin enough to fit through the bars?! Wow. If I were you, I’d feed her an extra snack whenever I could to help her gain weight. But with the escaping problem, the only thing I can think of is to put paper around the cage where she usually escapes from, but the rats might eat the paper. The only other thing I could think of is tightly wrap a blanket or something around the cage. Also, what kind of cage do you have? I feel like the cage would have to have a pretty big gap in order for her to squeeze through, even if she is thinner than normal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is the rat and cage she has to really wiggle but she has escaped 3 times. The cage door is open so that is why there is a big gap in the corner

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh dear, if she's so thin she can squeeze between the bars, the you have to find a way to secure the cage. They love to explore and will get out if they can. Close your door so she stays in one room for now. Or do you have a carrier she can go in for now?
I do not have a carrier and she just likes to hide in the corner near the cage so she has not gotten into any trouble other then chewing unplugged cords and making me sit in a corner to small for me to be comfortable for about 15 minutes 🙄

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah these are my first rats and my mother bought the cage as a Christmas present(and the rats) This was a great present but I did not get to do personal research on the cage

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have tape and a stack of paper so hopefully this works at least so I can feel like my rat is safe while I sleep tonight

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have tape and a stack of paper so hopefully this works at least so I can feel like my rat is safe while I sleep tonight
All you can do is slow her down, paper around where she's escaping will help do that. She doesn't look skinny, but pics don't tell the whole story. Does she feel light and thin when you hold her? Does her skin feel loose, like she doesn't have any fat around her muscles?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Her skin feels loose and she feels thin. She is a little lighter. The paper I put where she escapes appears to be working she did not get out last night. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In order to give Madam Squeakster extra snacks I tried rolled oat and she like them but her sister LOVES them lol. She was not sharing😂

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can get wire mesh at Home Depot for about $20 and cut it to size with tin snips and then use nylon zip ties to secure it. Make sure you cut the sharp edges off. Very easy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can get wire mesh at Home Depot for about $20 and cut it to size with tin snips and then use nylon zip ties to secure it. Make sure you cut the sharp edges off. Very easy
I had already done that and I took down the mesh because I did not like it and I thought my rats could not escape anymore. The paper has stopped her from leaving it has been 24 hours without her leaving the cage.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How old is your rat? When they get older they will lose some weight and feel thinner. My Taco is 2+ years and has become lighter, and her skin feels loose, but she eats like crazy, eats everything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How old is your rat? When they get older they will lose some weight and feel thinner. My Taco is 2+ years and has become lighter, and her skin feels loose, but she eats like crazy, eats everything.
She is less then 8 months old so I am just going ahead and saying her weight loss has nothing to do with age

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's good. I would give her nutritious treats like avocado, sunflower seeds, cooked sweet potatoes, things that are higher in calories and fat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They have sunflower seeds in their everyday food and it is one of the things that they like to pick out of the food lol. Are rolled oats a good treat for her? Also I just spent an hour trying to catch her because the rats chewed away the paper😔

1 - 20 of 27 Posts