Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want 2 rats. Im 12 years old. I gave my mom an essay of all the animals and she says no not now but she has been saying that for over a year now. She says maybe when im responsible enough which makes no since because i rake the yard, get a's and one b, keep my room clean, do extra chores, take care of all the animals in the house (dog, cat, and 3 hamsters). This is the cage i want http://www.amazon.com/Ferret-Nation-Habitat-Model-Single/dp/B0054U8U26/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414370486&sr=8-4&keywords=ferret+nation is it an ok size. Do you have any ideas on what i should do?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Haha I've been there... Well first off just keep trying to prove your responsible and maybe try and ask your mom what you could do to prove your responsible. It took me over a year to convince my parents to get a rat. Getting used to the idea of having pet rats in the house will take some time. Even after i got my rats my dad called them filthy and disgusting even though they were tiny babies. They are starting to grow on him though. About your cage, I think it seems fine. The only thing I would worry about is the bar spacing, how big is it? Go on ratty cage calculator and see if it's the right size and good luck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Honestly you just need to understand that you may have to wait a while. Since your so young the animals are technically your moms responsibility and rats can add a lot to the cost. Keep up with you research and doing things around the house but don't be upset if your mom says no for a while. Also the cage is good but only for larger males. If you get young ones or femalea you need a critter nation or you'd have to cover the ferret nation in hardwire cloth.

·
Registered
996 Posts
At age 12, how are you going to financially support your rats? That may be what your mother has in mind when she says "when you're more responsible." At 12, you can't possibly have enough income to take care of rats, which means the financial burden will fall in your parents. Rats can be wildly expensive. The cage, food, bedding, and vet bills. Oh, the vet bills. I recently had a rat cost me about $1,000 in less than a month because she had to have an emergency surgery and then later had to be put down. The surgery cost $700 and the euthanasia + cremation cost $119, plus there was all her medication and followup visits between.

I know this isn't what you hear and trust me when I say I understand. Rats are amazing and I know how it feels to want them and not be able to get them yet, but I think you should try to be a bit patient. Don't force the idea of rats on your mom. Since she will be financially responsibly, she needs to be completely on board with it. Unless, of course, you wait until you can support them on your own.

Shoot, I waited to get rats until I was 19, living with my parents, had what I thought to be good income, and I STILL needed my parents' help for a lot of medical bills and they bought at least one cage (maybe more) for me. My dad even paid for one of my rats to be put down yesterday, which cost $160. Rats are a huge responsibility as far as money goes and it's not something anyone should take lightly. I wish I had been smarter and realized how expensive it would be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts