Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8O I'm desperate! So, here's the deal. A little while ago, my parents FINALLY let me get my first rat, Artemis. I love him to death, but he's lonely! He lives by himself and has nobody to play with while I'm at school. I feel so bad for the little guy! I've talked to my parents about this, but they won't let me get another. They say the deal was that I couls get a rat, no more than that. I even wrote them a long letter with a print-out from this forum. But the answer is still no! Aaaaargh! I feel terrible about leaving him by himself all day! :x Please tell me what to do...

·
Registered
879 Posts
hmmm im not sure what to tell you. How old are you? Unfortunately it's a tough choice when your younger because your parents still have a say and are most likely buying your rat supplies. Im 21 and my mom still flipped when I brought home my second rat but because im older she cant make me take it back. especially because I am paying for everything with my rats. She doesn't have to look at them smell them buy them food cage and supplies toys nothing I do it all. Thats the only way I got away with it. So for right now you should probably not push it too much. There still may be a chance they will let you in the future but if you keep pushing it on them they may not. Most likely your rat will be a little lonely but he wont die from it. My Lilly has been alone for a few months and even now I have my rat Luna but she is in quarantine. So Lilly still has no clue. But she is doing fine still being a rat. It's ok help them to understand rats and help them see your rat is great then someday they may see that having two isn't such a bad thing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, if you don't push it, only mention it casually every once in awhile, there's the fact that almost every source will tell you that, most of the time, two rats are better than one. They like company, and it's usually good for them. I have a rat magazine sort of thing that has a big article on that matter, actually. I hear having two boys is sometimes harder than having to girls, though. I have no idea- I just have my two girls (one which just nibbled my ear, heh). And it's believed to help out their health, too, if you don't play with them "at least four hours a day".

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah.. I guess I'll just work om them slowly. btw I'm 13 (Still under control of my parents)

·
Registered
259 Posts
man i am 13 also and my mom is the same way, but i am gonna make her read this forum inside and out. eliza i feel you, same problem. a boy who is only and needs a friend. =]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe your parents just need to see that you can handle another rat...so just take really good care of this one and such and maybe it'll persuade them?

I'm 16 so I'm still under controll of my parents too. Rats are relatively inexpensive...until they get sick. My mom is the one who talked me into getting my first rat, and I've ended up with 4 of them in less than 2 years.

but like they've said before me, don't push it and show your parents you can handle another rat and pull the 'rats are social creatures' stuff on them lol it worked for me

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm 14, almost fifteen, and luckily get basically whatever I want. My rats go to the vet every time I say they need it. XD And when I told my parents I wanted two rats instead of just one, they agreed to it. But I do know how you feel - I'm having a harder time getting stuff for my betta fish than I did for my ratties!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hey I have bettas too! lol how do you have a harder time getting stuff for them??? lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
all i can say is take good care of the one you have at the moment and keep your room really clean take out the trash clean dishes even if its not your job

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll just try to be REALLY good! :p

·
Registered
527 Posts
the conversation between my mom and me went like this:

me: aw, look at her, she's so cute! -holding rat soon to be named vegas-
mom: is she biting you?
me: NO. -vegas crawls on my arms-
mom: okay, let's go now. -staring at this bucket thing of mealworms, horrifed-
me: i need two. one rat will be depressed all alone.
mom: two? -looks to pet store employee, who says nothing as she is CLUELESS about rats-
me: yes, two!
mom: okay, fine.

and that's how it went. so i don't have experience in convincing my mom for two rats (getting her to let me have any at all was hard enough!), but you should talk to your parents about how rats need companions a few times daily (after being super nice, helpful etc) and ask them how they would feel if they were alone in a room for 20+ hours a day! they should change their minds after that!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm 18 and convincing my parents is more than ridiculous. I have a cage and I can care for them fine but they hate them. My mother is PETRIFIED (she thinks they have diseases) and my father just seems to hate them. I find it so ironic that he had pet rats when he was younger and now he doesn't want me to have two. To get a fish I had to actually just go and buy it and come home with it one night. They still got angry at me. They got over it after a while. They also got over it after a while of when I had rats the first time.
I wish my parents were as accepting as other peoples.
I guess it's because they are old and they still think I am 5. Sometimes I feel lucky if I can make a piece of toast without getting fretted over. It's terrible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As a parent this is how I would like to be approached:

First off don't come to me with the "Yeah but the people on Ratforum say..." Do your homework and find 'official' information explaining the social nature of rats and why yours would benefit from a friend. No offense to anyone here and their knowledge but I would never treat what I find on a forum as fact without looking at other sources.

Second- don't bother me on a daily basis. Again, spend some time doing research and come to me with a convincing argument but don't argue. Instead discuss calmly and without emotion. Show that taking care of two is really no more work than one. Ask nicely, without attitude, why you can't have two. Find out why they are so against it.

Third- let them get accustomed to the one you do have. I don't have parents to convince but I do have a wife. She initially was repulsed by the thought of our rats. It's been four months and she holds them now and actually seems to like them. Not just tolerates, but actually likes them.

Finally- show you have a good track record of taking care of the one you already have. Don't ever let me catch it needing food, water or living in a dirty cage. Unfortunately it's a one strike and you're out situation. Case in point my eldest (14) got a mouse the same day we bought rats. As a minimum I expect the cage to be cleaned weekly. She is not meeting that standard. Nor does she take it out and handle it daily. Now she wants a cat. I just laugh at her and ask her how her mouse is doing.

I hope I haven't come across sounding like a jerk, just trying to help from a parent point of view. We can be reasoned with as long as you have a convincing argument.

Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know how it is to be under the thumb of your parents and you don't have any money to do anything about it. By the time I did get a job and was still living with my mom, I knew I wouldn't be able to get rats without sneaking them in... but, unfortunately, my mom is kind of a home-body and rarely leaves the house, except to go to work. So I never got a chance to sneak any in.

Then I moved in with my boyfriend, and I still got the same old crap, "you can't have a rat, they're nasty animals", et c. But after months of wearing him down, I FINALLY got my first rat. And then the second rat was kind of snuck in because I didn't want to give him another chance to say no, but he was okay with it. :D

And now he likes the rats! He plays with them all the time. So you can never tell who's going to end up liking rats and who's not. They just have to see for themselves how loving, playful and social rats are.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Make sure that you help your parents out with whatever and be respectful. Then ask You know what I would reaeaealy like for Valentines' Day? A ratty friend for my rat. That's all I 'll ask. Same for birthday, St. Patrick's Day Xmas, etc

·
Registered
879 Posts
ratcals said:
As a parent this is how I would like to be approached:

First off don't come to me with the "Yeah but the people on Ratforum say..." Do your homework and find 'official' information explaining the social nature of rats and why yours would benefit from a friend. No offense to anyone here and their knowledge but I would never treat what I find on a forum as fact without looking at other sources.

Second- don't bother me on a daily basis. Again, spend some time doing research and come to me with a convincing argument but don't argue. Instead discuss calmly and without emotion. Show that taking care of two is really no more work than one. Ask nicely, without attitude, why you can't have two. Find out why they are so against it.

Third- let them get accustomed to the one you do have. I don't have parents to convince but I do have a wife. She initially was repulsed by the thought of our rats. It's been four months and she holds them now and actually seems to like them. Not just tolerates, but actually likes them.

Finally- show you have a good track record of taking care of the one you already have. Don't ever let me catch it needing food, water or living in a dirty cage. Unfortunately it's a one strike and you're out situation. Case in point my eldest (14) got a mouse the same day we bought rats. As a minimum I expect the cage to be cleaned weekly. She is not meeting that standard. Nor does she take it out and handle it daily. Now she wants a cat. I just laugh at her and ask her how her mouse is doing.

I hope I haven't come across sounding like a jerk, just trying to help from a parent point of view. We can be reasoned with as long as you have a convincing argument.

Good luck!
I don't think you sounded like a jerk at all. It's good to know that info directly from a parent! :D Everything you wrote is fair and understandable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts