Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new and really needing some advice!
I have had my two boys for roughly 5 months and they are both about 6 months old. They are both un-neutered and came from the same breeder, they have never had any trouble before and this is why I'm not sure on what I should do. I have been noticing scabs on Erics shoulders and sometimes the cuts un healed, I can't think what it could be except from Victor biting him. I know you should spilt rats up as soon as you see blood but they are my only two rats and I have never actually seen them fight or hear them. Victor does occasionally push down Eric and when they are out of the cage playing I do notice Victor chases Eric quite often, Eric never seems to squeak and does stand up for himself when this happens. Victor has no signs of cuts or scratches anywhere on his body.
I hope someone can help me out, thank you!!

http://imgur.com/VXCwLsb

They either look like this or more like a slice, it has only happened about 3 times once every 2-3 weeks but I'm still worried. They do sometimes sleep together and sometimes don't.
Thanks again!
Emily Watts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I'm no expert, but that does not look like a bite mark.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Scabs around the neck face and ears often indicate a mite infestation... oddly mites tend to afflict different rats differently, some don't seem to be bothered at all, but there would definitely be scratching for the one with cuts and scabs. Healthy rats rarely scratch themselves. The treatment is revolution. And you have to treat all of your rats at the same time.

I think the cuts and scabs actually come from rats scratching or biting at the mites, that's not to say that a bad infestation won't damage skin in itself.

And NO, mites are way too small to see without a microscope.

Best luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, thank you for your help! I am taking them both to the vets on thursday:) hopefully they can get it sorted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts