Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I don't know what else to do right now. one of my rats is suddenly very sick and I can tell she isn't going to make it. there's nothing I can do for her which makes me feel like a horrible person and a horrible caretaker. but my question is, when she passes, her cage mate will be alone. what should I do? I know they aren't supposed to live alone but I can't get any more rats. again I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place and sorry for going off on a tangent. sorry

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm sorry about your ratty, I know how terrible it feels to not be able to do anything. Just try to make her as comfortable as possible for her last few moments.

Make sure she's quarantined properly, too. You said it was a sudden illness... URI or something else?

Okay, now on topic. Just a question, you don't have to answer if you choose, but why can't you get another rat? Your second girl will be lonely, but they (rats) can live solitary lives, provided they have space, toys, and lots and lots of love. If a rat doesn't have another rat companion, then you're their only friend so spend as much time possible with him/her. Minimum about 3-4 hours...

I hope the best for you and your ratty. I'm sorry about your difficult position and loss. :( But perhaps a miracle could happen...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your advice. the reason I can't get another rat is because I'm going to college soon and won't be able to have time to bond with a new rat. but I'll try to make both girls as comfortable as possible. thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
How is the ill girl in the original post? Did she pass or did she hang on?

How old are the girls? If your surviving girl is a senior, you might be able to give her enough attention to keep her happy until her time comes too. But if she seems to be getting depressed and miserable living alone, you might be able to find someone on the forum to take her to bond with their rats so she can be happy again and no longer alone.

So sorry for your girl who is/was sick.

·
Registered
163 Posts
you arent a horrible person or caretaker. im sure your rat has had a wonderful time being with you, despite her sickness.

when i had my first pair of rats, adam and larry, larry died at about a year and a half old because he was very sickly- even from the day we brought him home. adam lived for about 8 months after and i had to make sure to give him extra love and care. i took him out every day almost all day (with breaks putting him into the cage to eat, drink, go potty). i couldn't reintroduce him to a new rat because he was very aggressive, dominant, and skittish of most people and animals. if your rattie is older, it's probably best to not get her another cage mate anyway because there could be problems with introducing them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts