Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing free-range trying to multitask and clean the cage, somehow she got underfoot and I *nearly* stepped on her whole foot but she managed to pull away and I only got her tow. She squeaked, not screamed, didn't want to be held or let me see it, but I managed to get it cleaned and put some peroxide on.

I'm small, only 100lbs and I was wearing very light, thin, drug store canvas sneakers. Please be assured I'll be more careful in the future, as well as never wearing shoes anymore when the rats are out.

The toe is swollen and a little bloody, and the nail looks "longer" than the others, as if it may have come partly unattached, but I think this is likely due to swelling? My question is, is this small injury worth a vet visit? Doctors don't usually splint human broken toes, I imagine there's not much you could do for one small rat toe. Should I give her something for pain? She's not holding her foot, she's walking on it now just fine and it's scabbed over around her cuticle.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would just keep an eye on it and check it again in the morning. A similar situation happened to one of my girls (except it got caught in their carrying cage door) and it swelled up really badly. I kept an eye on it and the next morning the swelling was gone completely as if it had never happened.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Yep keeping an eye on it is the best bet. It might be just be sore, or could be more damaged / broken either way though the treatment is pretty much the same as you cant splint a toe on a rat. If the rat seems in pain, so hunched, fluffy, off there food, you can pop them on an antinflamatory / painkiller, if not its best left to heal iteself. If it doesnt improve significantly in a week or it gets very swollen (along the whole toe/foot) then take them to the vets, if not then theres nothing the vet would do apart from the above.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The swelling is much down today, there's just a small scab still around her cuticle but the nail looks fine. I was worried the nail would fall off but it looks much better and she's not acting strangely or favoring it. Thanks for making me feel better guys :) there's no bad feeling quite like accidentally hurting someone you love dearly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts