Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of yesterday morning, Asterix is showing signs of pituitary tumor. I cried my eyes out this afternoon while cleaning their cage. I love her so much and feel so sad for her to get this terrible disease.
I have an appointment tomorrow with the vet, but I know the prognosis for PT isn't good and will likely be deciding when to euthanize her. I'm so sorry Asterix, you are the loveliest, most gentle rat I've known and I just hope you're not suffering right now. 馃挃

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
I'm so sorry to hear about dear Asterix, so sorry for both of you. We all dread this diagnosis馃槩 Take it one day at a time as progression varies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tinytoes. It's only day 3 since her symptoms became obvious and she is already having a lot of trouble eating. Can't do solid food anymore. Will see what the vet says this afternoon. Maybe it is worth trying medication.

Registered
Yes, I've heard sometimes prednisone helps slow down the effects of the tumor. Might be able to buy a few more weeks of quality life. I feed cream of wheat with butter and brown sugar with a spoon, nice and wet so they get hydrated at the same time. It's not the most nutritious, but they are so happy eating, and thats all that matters. Wishing you the best

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the support everyone. I really appreciate it. At the vet yesterday Asterix was acting perfectly normal and so the vet didn't get to see her awkward movements, hands knuckling over, wobbly walking etc... The vet did note her right eye bulging out. When she listened to her heart and lungs commented that she was "almost trembling". I mentioned PT and the vet said that they were common and if it was that that there is nothing you can do except monitor for quality of life. I asked about cabergoline and she said it is not approved for use in Canada. I left the clinic feeling very sad that I wasn't given anything to help try to improve her symptoms. I did get some more meloxicam for pain control.
Today she has already deteriorated further. Very hard to get her to eat and she is more wobbly, puffed up and has a head tilt now. I thought about calling the vet back and begging for steroids for her but now think I should just euthanize her. She seems very uncomfortable and I don't want her to suffer anymore.

Registered
I am so sorry ,she sounds like a fighter so it may be worth asking the vets foe steroids.As you know ,the condition is terminal,but they could extend her quality of life.Whatever you decide,know that we all know you as a wise and loving rat caretaker and are fully behind you in any decision you make for Asterix....as will she,rats are incredibly conscientious and grateful for ANY help us hooms provide,especially that little nudge at the end of their physical lives to set them free.......hugs to you and a gentle scritch to Asterix xxx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sonic thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I am waiting to hear back from the vet about the steroids. I called yesterday and the vet who saw Asterix isn't in til Monday. They said they would get her to "review" my request for the steroids.
I have struggled to find good rat vets in my city, despite trying multiple clinics who say they can treat rats. I will just keep trying.

Registered
I hope the vet can help, and I wish all the best for you in this most difficult time. Love Astrix every moment you can and hold her close. You will know when the time has come. It is a hard decision, and I was very sad, but I don't regret having let Phyllis go. She didn't suffer; these tumors are devastating to us, but they don't feel pain. At the end, for the very first time, Phyllis cuddled me and bruxed and boggled. She was happy. She left this earthly world with love and dignity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts