Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was holding Willow this morning and when I picked her up I noticed a little lump under her arm off to the side. It is about the size of the tip of my pinky. Is this the start of a tumor? Could it be anything else?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dotty's lump started out small. 5 months down the line it had grown to almost the size of a golf ball and she's just had an operation to remove it.

If I were you I'd take her to the vets and get it sorted out as soon as you can - that's if it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I have to think here. I want to say I got her from a breeder in May of last year, and she was close to 5-6 weeks old when I got her. So shes young still. And no she is not spayed.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Berks said:
Ok, I have to think here. I want to say I got her from a breeder in May of last year, and she was close to 5-6 weeks old when I got her. So shes young still. And no she is not spayed.
That is very young. Could be abscess, could be a cyst..

Would you be able to take her in for an FNA (fine needle aspiration)? they would see if there was bacteria (abscess) or if it was tissue cells removed).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oy! that sounds yucky. I need to call a new vet. I have such huge problems finding a vet I like enough to take my dog too, and I have not had much luck finding a good knowledgeable rat vet. Is that what most vets call it? FNA? I have one vet I can try who I heard through the grapevine has experience with rats. I want to find how much, if they'll do it etc etc. Anything else I need to know before going there or calling them?
What do you do in the case of it being an abcess or cyst?

·
Registered
261 Posts
an FNA helps find tumors and bacteria in the body. i recemmend having one done before the actual operation, so you know for sure that its a tumor and its worth the trip and money. and under the arm, that is hte most common place for tumors to grow. i would check with the vet, remember to keep us posted.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
its similar to a biopsy in a way...fine needle in the lump...if theres pus/bacteria then its an abscess, if its a solid then you have a lump.

I have heard of young rats getting tumours, but its not very common. As most tumours are hormone driven and your girl is under 10 months? Its usually when the rat starts to go thru menopause and the hormones change that tumours show up. Cancerous tumours can happen but aren't as common as mammary tumours.

Can you check the lump and see if there's a scab on it? That would mean that it was a scratch/bite and could very well be an abscess. Then you can treat as an abscess and all should be fine.

Sorry I should've thought of this sooner, bit scattered today :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts