Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you guys remember my thread "I'm Getting a New Rat!" or whatever I named it, you should know that I have officially obtained this rat. I got it at first Wednesday, December 16th, realized that it was sick, and took it back the very next afternoon, and I was late picking up my mother from work.

I didn't get my rat (female, named Cicely) back until this Monday. I had to wait several extra days because twice they forgot to take her to the vet, and twice the vet was just too busy.

And then he cleared her. I took her home. Guess who's still sick? Cicely, of course, and like h*ll am I taking her back there just for her to get no treatment. Conveniently, I think Ashley could stand to go to the vet, because I want a professional opinion about whether or not she's developing a URI. So we've got an appointment with our vet, who actually specializes "exotic" animals like rats. (Last time I was there, there was a goat that peed all over the floor. They had just fixed some sort of blockage keeping it from peeing, I think.)

Oh yeah, and Cicely has long legs. The distance between her belly and the surface she's walking on seems bigger than normal. And she CONSTANTLY stands up, often to her full height. So that's her thing, I guess.

She's a varigated berkshire, with the same coloring as Ashley, except a little darker.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I understand this frustration because I work in a PetsMart and our vet clears rats that aren't healthy (she doesn't use baytril to treat them she uses tobramycin I believe) and my co-workers are tired of treating rats and get mad at me for sending them back to the vet. I'm glad we treat them but our vet doesn't know what a healthy rat it. We do have a fill in vet that comes once a month and she actually gets things right when she's there. Super sorry about PetsMart's practices.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least our vet is cool. From her own experiences, she knows how frustrating it can be to have an "exotic" pet and not get it properly taken care of. She helped with Athena and Ashley when they got sick, and neutered my boys.

Really, I was more shocked than angry when I got her back. All the way back in 2014 when I first got Athena and Ashley, I had to take them back too, but I got them back in 10-12 days, and they were healthy!

Cicely does seem to be getting better, even if it's been just two days. Here are some (blurry) pictures:
IMG_2200.jpg
IMG_2201.jpg
(I put her on the scratch post because her nails are VERY sharp.)

(Does anyone know if humidifiers help with rats when they're sick? My vet recommended it, and I wanna see if someone else has any experience with that.)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Humidifiers work great! I have one set up near my boys cage all the time. I've heard putting saline solution in it works good too but I haven't tried that and wanted to do more research on it so don't quote me on that yet. =) But yes, humidifiers help.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Rats can sometimes stand quite high when they move when they are uncomfortable or in pain (or just warey), can you get a video of her?

Humidifiers can help if the humidty is low. Rats do better at a higher humidity than the typical home, they also do better at cooler temperatures with less fabrics etc around. To be honest good diet, good husbandry and care goes a long way, but If they are from a rubbish background (and sometimes even if they come from well bred lines) you can get a rat who just tends to get ill easily.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
While she doesn't have the typical blazes, the rat in the photo might be a high white. High whites commonly are slightly disproportionate. They just look "wrong" somehow.... like big feet, long noses etc... Mostly it sometimes make them look cuter or more appealing, but that "something off" is one of the signs I look for in high whites... and long legs might be one of them. There's no set rule, but if you put your rat in a cage with 20 other rats, she would stand out as "different".

Once a high white is over 6 weeks old, there's really almost no risk of her developing megacolon, but she would be a rat never to breed just in case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While she doesn't have the typical blazes, the rat in the photo might be a high white. High whites commonly are slightly disproportionate. They just look "wrong" somehow.... like big feet, long noses etc... Mostly it sometimes make them look cuter or more appealing, but that "something off" is one of the signs I look for in high whites... and long legs might be one of them. There's no set rule, but if you put your rat in a cage with 20 other rats, she would stand out as "different".

Once a high white is over 6 weeks old, there's really almost no risk of her developing megacolon, but she would be a rat never to breed just in case.
I really didn't know about that, I'm glad you told me. (I love learning about rats, to the point that it's become a hobby.) Cicely is definitely older than 6 weeks. (I've seen Blaire grow from newborn baby to about 7 months, so I've got that for comparison.) Of course I have no intention to breed her, I'm just fine with the five I have.

Oh, and both Ashley and Cicely have improved! For the most part I don't hear Ashley whistling or sneezing much. Cicely still presents symptoms but they're better. I'll continue to keep them separated and on their meds though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts