Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After doing a load of reading on Pituitary Tumours, I think this may be what is wrong with my rat. Of course I can't know this for sure but it all adds up.

So about a week ago I noticed one of my male rats (1.5 years old, called Hiccup) seemed unsteady on his feet. Weak, even. He was drinking a lot and dropping his food. I kept passing him a monkey nut and he struggled to hold onto it with both his hands and teeth. We had just had really hot weather in the UK so silly me thought he was struggling with it, so I just made sure they had plenty of fresh cold water and fresh cold veggies.

I've been keeping my eye on him over the past week and have noticed all the same things: he's a little wobbly and slow, he can't grasp things very well (if at all), he drinks a lot (and he sims to drink out of his bottle a weird way, it's hard to describe), his fur seems scruffy, he doesn't play anymore, and then today I saw him try to eat a piece of dried banana and he couldn't. He couldn't bite down on it, he just kept dropping it - nor could he grasp it with his hands. I passed it back to him about 4 times before I thought yeah, this isn't right.
Immediately I thought it may be a tooth or something in his mouth. I had a look as best as I could (he's the fidgety one out of the two that doesn't like to be held or handled) and I saw his teeth are looking fine.

After doing some reading it seems pretty spot on. I've just given him some scrambled egg with some peas and a bit of mashed up cat food.
If this is the case, is there any advice to keep my boy comfortable for as long as possible? He's in a 3 story cage currently with his brother, water bottle is on the 2nd level and food is on the top level. Should I bring these down lower so he doesn't have to go too far to eat and drink? And specific foods that'll be good for him?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would ,as you suggested,keep food and drink on the same level and feed him soft food that he can eat better.It is worth taking him to the vets for a check up as there are some drugs that can slow the progression of the disease.I am sorry you are going through this,PTs suck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts