Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Lucy and Diamond sound like they have a bad cold or something. They are sneezing and sound almost like when a human has a stuffy nose. I don't get paid for another two weeks so I don't know what to do until I can take them to the vet. ): help?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Can you get some echanacia from a health food shop. a drop each of that a day will give thete immune system a boost and help with a minor infection. If they stay wheezing and or looking fluffy abd unwell then it's more urgent to get them to the vet abd on abs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About how much does it cost? Because I'm literally broke for the next few weeks but my boyfriend could possibly help me out. I called the local vet and they said it would be about $200 for me to bring them both in. ):

They're eating normally and running around and still get excited when I come to their cage, so they aren't lethargic or anything. They're just sneezing and sound congested.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't know where you are, but echanacia costs about R90 in South Africa. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the blocked nose sound you describe, could benefit with some steam. Run a hot shower/bath and close the doors so the bathroom can steam up and let them roam around in the steamy room for atleast 5min. This will help their blocked noses. Are they gasping for air? Wheezing or making clicking sounds? If you not sure, hold them up to your ears and try hear if their lungs are making this noise. If not, the steam in the bathroom will help the blocked noses. I would also suggest a good cage clean up with some vinegar which is safe mixed with warm water. A cage clean up will help get rid of any dust, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in California, I'll have to do some research and see how much it is out here. But thank you. I'm going to run a hot shower when I get home for them. There's no clicking sounds or wheezing really, just stuffy noses and sneezing. But thank you! Hopefully this helps. They are pet shop rats and I got them two weeks ago tomorrow, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I currently have my two girls in my bathroom with the shower running and you would think nothing was wrong! They're running around and acting like crazy girls. And they're eating their veggies and drinking water just fine. I hope this is a good sign.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would browse for other vets in the area. I had to search 4 different towns to find a reasonably priced vet. My town actually doesnt even have one that takes rats. I drive 25 mins for mine but its worth it. When daisy was sick it was $30 for the visit and 7 for the meds. I would look around cuz I know hoe it is to be tight on money. Im a college student. But if they have an upper respiratory infection, which it sure sounds like it, they can die quickly. 2 weeks might be too late, not to scare u. But look around or see if someone will prescribe the antibiotics without the office visit? But thats unlikely if they havent seen them before. Good luck! I hope u find a cheaper place.

·
Registered
307 Posts
So I currently have my two girls in my bathroom with the shower running and you would think nothing was wrong! They're running around and acting like crazy girls. And they're eating their veggies and drinking water just fine. I hope this is a good sign.
Glad to hear they are doing ok. But I have to agree that a vet visit for antibiotics is a good idea. They can go down hill very quickly. You can then ask the vet for antibiotics to keep at home for future use. This will save a vet trip and you can start them on a course of antibiotics yourself next time to treat them. Mine are still on antibiotics, 7 day course. And doing much better.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
echanacia is normally pretty cheap. You get a bottle that lasts forever here for about £5, Useually you find most things in the us cost similar in terms of dollars as it does us in pounds as you have less tax even if the pound is worth more than the dollar in business speak

another thing you could do if they sound congested is get child's sudafed (decongestant) a pinch of that on there food might help to. They don't sound very ill rats to me right now and odd snuffely spells aren't that rare in rats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.