Rat Forum banner

i think my rats confused.

6K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  Stephanie 
#1 ·
Okay so my rat started um..humping I take it. Like we'll be playing and shes chasing my hand and shes wrestling with my hand. and then she runs up my arm and vibrates which i know thats what hamsters do but I mean is she confused and thinks i'm like a mate? lol because she only does it to me. my boyfriend was playing with her and was like WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE SHE LOVES?! lol please help. and is there anyway to stop her besides spaying her?

#4 ·
My girls have never done that to me, but often rats will often hump one eachother when one is in heat. so congradulations...your a rat in heat.
to stop her, push her off and say no. but that also might discourage her from playin with you.

SO i'd say deal with it....how often does she do this?

#7 ·
i can't think of anyhtin much funnier then a vibrating rat in heat. i especailly love it when they get their ears going.

i think its a cute behavior so i've never tried to stop it. personally i don't think you can either. its just the way they are built. female cat yowl and rats vibrate. if you spay her she'll stop cause she won't go into heat but other then that i'd say just change your attitude towards it and try looking at in another way. after all, what other animal do you know of that can wiggle their ears that fast? and all the bouncing and hopping gives them lots of excersize to help keep the nice trim body.

#9 ·
If she's actually humping you you may want to pin her when it happens, since females only hump as a mark of dominance and you ought to be the dominant one.

#10 ·
I love her ears. oh my haha. She does it if I scratch her in a certain place on her back. (Kimmiekins shes not hand humping she's just shaking lmao) and it really is cute I mean I don't think any other animal is more amusing while in the act. haha. But the only thing about fiona is she's not in heat... I don't think.

#13 ·
Oh! Okay, for some reason, I thought you meant literally humping! *grin* I think I need more sleep.

Nah, that's normal female rat behavior, to vibrate when scratched on their backs. I have 5 girls in the rescue that are nutty when in heat. As Forensic said, they're in heat about every 4 days.

I'm pretty sure the only way to stop it is with spaying. :p

#18 ·
yeah, i got my neutered boy bribery to vibrate his ears once just like a girl when i was towel drying him after his bath (i don't know who is the messier eater, him or his himi girlfriend Eyes. i swear they would rather swim and paint with their food then eat it...). it was very cute and it certainly surprised me. i haven't been able to get him to do it since though... *pouts* it was so cute

#21 ·
It's more of a dominance thing. It's perfectly normal for same-sexed rats (and other animals) to show their dominance in the form of humping. Doesn't necessarily mean they "prefer" one gender. Just that they're saying, "Hey, *I'M* the boss, got that?" The more dominant rats are the ones usually humping other rats. Sometimes spaying/neutering can cease the behavior. It's generally not too bad if the other rats are okay with it, it's just one way they communicate and keep their hierarchy.

#22 ·
Kimmiekins said:
It's more of a dominance thing. It's perfectly normal for same-sexed rats (and other animals) to show their dominance in the form of humping. Doesn't necessarily mean they "prefer" one gender. Just that they're saying, "Hey, *I'M* the boss, got that?" The more dominant rats are the ones usually humping other rats. Sometimes spaying/neutering can cease the behavior. It's generally not too bad if the other rats are okay with it, it's just one way they communicate and keep their hierarchy.
So we should hump them to show that we are the dominant ones?...lol...Joking..

#23 ·
Matt said:
Kimmiekins said:
So we should hump them to show that we are the dominant ones?...lol...Joking..
Just don't let them hump you. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.