Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my rats for about a month; a week ago started getting a little circular rash on my arm. A few days later another one started forming on my other arm. As of today I have five huge patches of ringworm, which I've never had before.
I know cats often carry ringworm without showing an outbreak and infect humans, but can rats? Two of the rashes formed in places where their claws had scraped me hard enough to draw blood, but that could be a coincidence . Their skin and fur looks healthy, but I'm worried that either:
A) They're carrying it and are going to keep spreading it to me.
B) If they didn't transmit it to me, I'm going to infect them. Should I stop handling them until it clears up?

Help!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I suggest a visit to the docotr for you and possible one to the vet for them, in case they have it, if it's not treated it could keep coming back to you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago - I can tell you what the vet and human doctor did for us.

Ringworm is a fungal ingfection - and cats as well as rats and other animals can have it and spread it to humans and vice versa. I have a compromised immune system due to impending heart transplantation, so I go to the doctor for anything, but unless its a severe case of ringworm, you should be able to treat it OTC (based upon what the vet and doctor told us).

The most annoying and time consuming part of the treatment is keeping things clean so you dont re-infect yourself or the ratties. Beyond that, you want to use a good antifungal cream such as clotrimazole 1% which you can get over the counter as Lotrimin 1%. They say to use it twice daily, but I used it up to 5-6 times a day on myself due to the fact that with my immune system being in the crapper, my body cant afford to even have small things go wrong. They also had me on an oral antifungal but again, you shouldnt have to mess with that. My ringworm cleared up within 2 weeks and it was BAD on me. With the ratties though, dont put it on them more than once or twice a day.

Even though I was told that the scratches had nothing to do with it, Im with you in thinking that its relevant. It only showed up on me after I bathed them and got scratched to pieces.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts