Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Strelok & Nimble
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be silly, but I am really worried.

So my neighbors have a cat, a little black cat, that they sometimes let out. I cat-sit him last summer when he was a kitten, so he knows me, and if he sees me, he comes right up to me. I'd just gotten off my treadmill which is out in my garage, and as I was coming in I heard a little trill, and he came up to me. I spent about a good minute petting him. I went inside, and took a few minutes to sort things out downstairs, then I went upstairs to take a shower - but first I stopped in to check on Strelok and Nimble. It looked like they were just waking up, and they reacted as they usually do - coming to the side of their cage, watching me, etc, and so I opened the door to pet them, as I usually do.

They IMMDIATELY went for my hand, the one that pet the cat, and began sniffing the ever loving life out of it. I figured they would since, you know, a new scent of another animal. They chilled out and let me pet them for a second, then I went to get them a couple cheerios. In the 10 seconds I was a few steps away, they jumped from the top platform into their hammock, right on top of each other, and didn't react to the rustling of the bag like they usually do. Okay, I figure maybe they're a bit tired and don't want to hop up. So I hold the cheerios up to them and, nothing. Usually they grab them right away, but no response. Okay, maybe they don't want those... but I feel it's a bit odd since they usually love them. I decide to see if they want their special treats - a yogurt drop for Nimble and a Gerber cereal puff for Strelok. I feed them these scarcely since they have a lot of sugar in them, but they LOVE them, even waking up from naps for them at times just to grab them and go nuts.

But nothing. They seem too afraid to move, they're just laying on top of each other, eyes wide, noses twitching a bunch as they seem to be sniffing the heck out of the air. I'm scared that the smell of the cat scared them, or the cat had something on him that was harmful for them to smell, I have no idea if that's even a thing but... I've never seen them act like this before??? They were perfectly fine when I left to go exercise, and when I came back - it seems like, the scent of the cat on my hand upset them or something.

Is that even a thing? Could they just be tired, or something? Do I need to be worried? This is probably silly but it just seems so strange to me. I know they're prey animals so new animal scents probably scare them, but I figured that once they realized there wasn't a threat they'd seem to calm down, but they still seem so on edge :(

·
Registered
Strelok & Nimble
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I noticed.... Nimble picked up the treat I left for him, but he's just holding it in his mouth. Not making a motion to eat it or anything :/

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
511 Posts
I don’t know. . .

Whenever I pet my dog, my rats just pee on the hand to mark it instead of hiding. Sometimes rats just act strangely! You might want to wait for a day to see if they’re still fearful. Hope that Nimble and Strelok do better!

·
Registered
Strelok & Nimble
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know. . .

Whenever I pet my dog, my rats just pee on the hand to mark it instead of hiding. Sometimes rats just act strangely! You might want to wait for a day to see if they’re still fearful. Hope that Nimble and Strelok do better!
Thank you! They slooowly went back to normal, and then when I woke up for work they were back to their usual selves. I'm guessing the random scent of a new animal might've spooked them a little bit, but they've totally calmed down now and are back to being cuddly/playful/etc. I'd much rather they just pee on my hand instead of get scared though, to be honest :cry:

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
511 Posts
Fantastic! :D

I agree being peed on is better then being feared, but it’s great they’ve gone back to normal! If they haven’t been exposed to other animals’ scents before, that might’ve been why they reacted so strongly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts